Looking for quiet mufflers

Fashooter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 27, 2023
Have Thorton shorties pypes down pipes. Pypes x pipe. Flowmaster 50s and tailpipes. Motor is a olds 355 decent compression. Sounds great just a bit loud for me when cruising. Magna flow? Any others?

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I went from Dynomax Ultra Flows to Walker Quiet Flows.
The Ultra Flows droned like crazy. Couldn't have a conversation in the car. Here are the before and after videos.
The Ultra Flows.

The Quiet Flows

Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
those 50 series are stout.the general idea is that any chambered muffler will probably be louder than it's "turbo' style counterpart that has fiberglass like the magna flow's

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Fashooter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 27, 2023
I went from Dynomax Ultra Flows to Walker Quiet Flows.
The Ultra Flows droned like crazy. Couldn't have a conversation in the car. Here are the before and after videos.
The Ultra Flows.

The Quiet Flows
Want these mufflers but they don't make them in 2.5 offset inlet and 2 5 center outlet

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I really liked the DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers. Quiet, just grumbly, not obnoxious. The Tom and Jim Hand brothers did a ton of testing and proved the Super Turbo's to be the quietest and best flowing mufflers available. The actual test results are out there but I can't find them right now. Here is a sample article. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620127 This is old data but still applicable. I even have a CD of all the muffler exhaust sounds that they recorded from the testing. Who does stuff like that?!? The article is ""You can build a quiet exhaust system that performs almost like open headers."By Jim Hand & Tom Hand" Post it if you find it please. Here is part of it. https://www.s10forum.com/threads/some-good-muffler-info.411771/

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Thrush Hush 17634 is what I use. Here is a comparison of several turbo-style mufflers:

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I really liked the DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers. Quiet, just grumbly, not obnoxious. The Tom and Jim Hand brothers did a ton of testing and proved the Super Turbo's to be the quietest and best flowing mufflers available. The actual test results are out there but I can't find them right now. Here is a sample article. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620127 This is old data but still applicable. I even have a CD of all the muffler exhaust sounds that they recorded from the testing. Who does stuff like that?!? The article is ""You can build a quiet exhaust system that performs almost like open headers."By Jim Hand & Tom Hand" Post it if you find it please. Here is part of it. https://www.s10forum.com/threads/some-good-muffler-info.411771/

I had those mufflers on my Crown Victoria. Car had a 5.0 HO, T5, shorties, catless H, full 2.5" piping. Was very mellow cruising and when you laid into it would growl, but really not super loud. Would use them again on a build where I wanted decent flow but good noise control.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Was very mellow cruising
I used them on my 1977 Trans Am w/Pontiac 400 engine. On the highway you could not even hear them at all. But I also used the tail pipes that exited in the correct location and had the chrome splitters. They were so good I saved them after I cut the TA up. We are going to put them on our 1980 TA w/400 that right now has the most obnoxious 'mufflers' in the world. You can't hear yourself think.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor