restoration questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGCUSTOMS87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
St. Johns/Lansing, MI
i'm just wondering i bought a 1980 el camino and i'm thinking about doing a frame up by starting with a new frame and powder coating it and bolting what ever i can on the frame then droping the body in place. my only main question is would i need the body to check clearance alot or could i get suspension, brakes & lines and everything like that put on before. just lookin for some input before i consider it.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
there is really nothing you need to check unless you are slamming it. get the frame down to nothing then sand blast it. i would stay away from powder coating though. i have heard and seen allot of problems with it. if i were you i would go to bumper to bumper and pick up "chassis black" frame paint, or POR. you could even throw the engine and transmission in befor you put the body on, run all fuel and brake lines.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
v8power said:
there is really nothing you need to check unless you are slamming it. get the frame down to nothing then sand blast it. i would stay away from powder coating though. i have heard and seen allot of problems with it. if i were you i would go to bumper to bumper and pick up "chassis black" frame paint, or POR. you could even throw the engine and transmission in befor you put the body on, run all fuel and brake lines.

Agreed, I have heard from paint shops and people who do powder coating any they say it's a waste of time and money. Not to mention other problems that might arise.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I second that, I believe powdercoating is overrated.
Eastwood's Ceramic Chassis paint will be perfect.

Run all your brake and fuel lines and assemble your suspension with the body off and it will make your life a lot easier. Putting in the engine and trans isn't a bad idea either, but it's not necessary. It's already plenty easy to do that with the front clip off.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you're modding the suspension and especially if you're putting in wide tires you should have the body on to check for clearance.

JAGCUSTOMS87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
St. Johns/Lansing, MI
well if i were to not go with powder coating what else is there? i want something thats good i live in MI even tho i'm not going to be driving year around but its still Michigan. yeah i was hoping i could do pretty much everything with out a body b/c i wanna get a new frame and start there and keep driving the car while i put the frame together. and then swap the body over. yeah i didn't think of the wheel clearance but it should be good i'd use the same wheels and there is a spacer already.

JAGCUSTOMS87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
St. Johns/Lansing, MI
oh i will, i'm still getting used to this site as it is, is there a gallery to upload the pics i do have of it up or no?

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
well since you have an exsisting chasis you could always test fit stuff such as wheels and suspension then move it back over.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
JAGCUSTOMS87 said:
oh i will, i'm still getting used to this site as it is, is there a gallery to upload the pics i do have of it up or no?

i use photobucket. free, easy to upload, and it'll automatically give you (img) codes to post to forums below each picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor