Strattec Quality Is Slipping Too

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just wow!

I've got a stash of keys for helping people re-key their car, mostly generic keys. But I've also got a few packs of "official" GM keys provided by the vendor of such keys. Strattec. Used to be the Briggs & Stratton lock division which made a grunch of ignition switches and locks, mostly for the "Big 3", but all the other makes too.

Now, normally I'd say their quality is A to A+ grade. They make some intricate stuff and USUALLY it says quality coming out of the box. However, in the case of say, those Fob keys on more modern cars, after a few years the cover pads start deteriorating and just suck. But the key parts and switches are still prime stuff as far as I'm concerned.

So yesterday, I was working on someone's lock project and wouldn't you know, I pulled out the first "B" key of the pack and punch cut it to code to match the lock. Bingo, it works. I then took a picture of the lock and sent it to the customer to show him work in progress. So this morning I looked at the picture again and noticed the key looked weird.

I pulled out the packs of GM keys and compared them. At first glance they look fine, and they feel fine. Heavier duty than the generic ones I have. But still.

Here's a pic of the D and B keys. Ironically, all the key bags on the front say "Made in USA." Made me a little sad. You can see on the B keys (or maybe you can't) that the "Mark of Excellence" wasn't stamped very well and in fact, on some of the keys you can BARELY make out a slight indentation where those words would be. Some better than others. The D keys look a little better. Maybe the stamps are just getting wore slap out. I dunno. The "B" keys seem the most affected. They're still good keys, but the old school quality just ain't like it used to be.

IMG_0101.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I think the "Mark of Excellence" fading away is a reflection a production standards as a whole. I think the average "Joe" has become used to lower quality and poorer service.

Maybe it's simply a question of economic stress. Maybe they're trying to push back the cost of stamp or machinery upgrades to a better financial position for the company.

Maybe it's the worst possibility. Maybe this is a small part of their bottom line profits, and they simply don't give a sh*t about the quality.

No matter what it is, it's depressing.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Post covid.... quality for everthing has gone down hill, but yet charging more for no other reason than using the excuse of supply issues. Pure Greed

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
Just wow!

I've got a stash of keys for helping people re-key their car, mostly generic keys. But I've also got a few packs of "official" GM keys provided by the vendor of such keys. Strattec. Used to be the Briggs & Stratton lock division which made a grunch of ignition switches and locks, mostly for the "Big 3", but all the other makes too.

Now, normally I'd say their quality is A to A+ grade. They make some intricate stuff and USUALLY it says quality coming out of the box. However, in the case of say, those Fob keys on more modern cars, after a few years the cover pads start deteriorating and just suck. But the key parts and switches are still prime stuff as far as I'm concerned.

So yesterday, I was working on someone's lock project and wouldn't you know, I pulled out the first "B" key of the pack and punch cut it to code to match the lock. Bingo, it works. I then took a picture of the lock and sent it to the customer to show him work in progress. So this morning I looked at the picture again and noticed the key looked weird.

I pulled out the packs of GM keys and compared them. At first glance they look fine, and they feel fine. Heavier duty than the generic ones I have. But still.

Here's a pic of the D and B keys. Ironically, all the key bags on the front say "Made in USA." Made me a little sad. You can see on the B keys (or maybe you can't) that the "Mark of Excellence" wasn't stamped very well and in fact, on some of the keys you can BARELY make out a slight indentation where those words would be. Some better than others. The D keys look a little better. Maybe the stamps are just getting wore slap out. I dunno. The "B" keys seem the most affected. They're still good keys, but the old school quality just ain't like it used to be.

View attachment 238558
It is in every industry. In the last three years I have had to return two pair of shoes and two pair of boots because within a month or two the glue binding the sole gives out.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor