Went & did some tire kicking

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
On that brake front, might be worth a thought or two to add the main line between the proportioning valve and the rear brake hose to the list of stuff to investigate. You might be looking at a full plumbing redo including the hoses, simply due to old age, rust, and internal rot and collapse.

Nick
I looked them over & all is good & dry. The bad is the car was babied for most of its life brfore '08. From '09 till I bought it things weren't as good. It's not off the table for a complete hard line replacement. The hoses are looking to be done when we start the brake work.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What my buddy does is get the new plate with what he wants, which is 69 based hahaha. But then has a place online make the dare plate for him and leaves the original in the trunk. I was going to say if you want something that is available more custom you can do the same thing with getting the new plate then just have a remake of whichever you really like
My buddy suggested to keep the new plate in the car as a just in case. I would of liked it if Penndot would include the '77 to '99 issue plates with the program that allows one to reactive a year/period correct plate as an antique registration then I would run with the yellow plate with the correct when new registration stickers

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Between Mother's Day activities & other Sunday chores there was some wire making done for the car. Made the jumper harness for the back up light harness to allow the auto dim mirror to be used just to find out the Saturn Vue mirror has an issue. There are (were) plastic finger that held a metal ring for holding force on the pivot ball for adjusting the mirror & half of them are broken off. So it holds adjustment out of the car but I don't think it'll hold driving down the road. The hunt for another begins. I have one out of an OBS as a back up but the Vue's came with more than enough wire to splice into the main harness. Got the radio dimmer wire made so it's ready to to be added to the headlight switch connector like the earlier digital radio cars. Didn't do the orange hot wire as I still need to see where it'll be spliced in. Then I swapped out the high beam switch out for the one for the flash to pass one. Even got the wire made that goes between the headlight switch & dimmer. The headlight switch will be swapped out for the one extra I pulled from the Chevettes that donated everything. I was going to do up the tail light harness side of the third brake light wires but saw I cut the wire too short & now I have to track down the right Pack Con female terminals for the connector to make the wire up. Small bit of work but something for now.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
My buddy suggested to keep the new plate in the car as a just in case. I would of liked it if Penndot would include the '77 to '99 issue plates with the program that allows one to reactive a year/period correct plate as an antique registration then I would run with the yellow plate with the correct when new registration stickers
Yeah my buddy keeps the real in the trunk as well, yeah I would do the same if they allowed but ya know PA

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Yeah my buddy keeps the real in the trunk as well, yeah I would do the same if they allowed but ya know PA
I do have a question for you, what all did you need to do to your Monte to get your plate? I stopped at a notary after getting the wife's Santa Fe inspected to check in on getting the antique plate & she said just the 4 pics & that'll be it. I still remember back in the day applications being kicked back over small details that someone in Harriburg felt was wrong. But now I see cars that should be in a scrap yard rolling with classic & antique plates. I'll be happy with just the 4 pics & have them send me the plate with out having to make the car look show ready.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I do have a question for you, what all did you need to do to your Monte to get your plate? I stopped at a notary after getting the wife's Santa Fe inspected to check in on getting the antique plate & she said just the 4 pics & that'll be it. I still remember back in the day applications being kicked back over small details that someone in Harriburg felt was wrong. But now I see cars that should be in a scrap yard rolling with classic & antique plates. I'll be happy with just the 4 pics & have them send me the plate with out having to make the car look show ready.
PA is always a crap shoot, dealing with them trying to suspend my plate on the Monte as it is from insurance issues. Got an email from them saying we don't see any requests for info or suspension, then 2 days later in the mail I get that I need to send my plate in for suspension...... of course there is a number to call that just tells you everyone is already busy helping someone and hangs up on you.

But anyways, to your question when I did the Monte I just took it to AAA and they took the pics. When I did the Blazer plate I took the pics to them, they fought me a little on the price of the vehicle because it was a roller but finally submitted it the way I requested and no problems with either. Not to say depending on who looks at your paperwork they don't know enough yet and flag it but I think you should be fine

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
PA is always a crap shoot, dealing with them trying to suspend my plate on the Monte as it is from insurance issues. Got an email from them saying we don't see any requests for info or suspension, then 2 days later in the mail I get that I need to send my plate in for suspension...... of course there is a number to call that just tells you everyone is already busy helping someone and hangs up on you.

But anyways, to your question when I did the Monte I just took it to AAA and they took the pics. When I did the Blazer plate I took the pics to them, they fought me a little on the price of the vehicle because it was a roller but finally submitted it the way I requested and no problems with either. Not to say depending on who looks at your paperwork they don't know enough yet and flag it but I think you should be fine
(Late reply, didn't post when I wrote this)
I hope since it already has the antique title getting the registration goes smooth with out an issue. As I'm going to pay extra just to "personalize" it to use the purple plate I don't want any hicups that most likely will happen in Harrisburg. With this step I also gotta do my insurance shopping for who'll give the best terms so Jr. can drive it in four years.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well found out another headache tonight, really going to have to find better doors. The very poor & neglected out door storage of the extra doors were not good for them. Bottoms are about the same as the originals but with out the sideswipe damage. If those inner lower patches were still available it would take some bite out of this. Of all things that should of been aluminum on these cars. At this point the doors are the only exterior bolt on panels that'll be an issue for replacement.

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Well found out another headache tonight, really going to have to find better doors. The very poor & neglected out door storage of the extra doors were not good for them. Bottoms are about the same as the originals but with out the sideswipe damage. If those inner lower patches were still available it would take some bite out of this. Of all things that should of been aluminum on these cars. At this point the doors are the only exterior bolt on panels that'll be an issue for replacement.
If the inner structure stayed the same throughout the years, you could always source doors from a different model to cut up.

Pittsburgh U Pull just got a 79 GP in last week, no idea on door condition though.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If the inner structure stayed the same throughout the years, you could always source doors from a different model to cut up.

Pittsburgh U Pull just got a 79 GP in last week, no idea on door condition though.
I was thinking along that line & was wishing those lower inner patch panels were still out there. As that being a local car I think they coud have the same issue. But there's another parts car for other stuff.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor