Coil Spring ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Decided to keep my Hurst Olds coil springs instead of putting them on my kids Cutlass.We will be ordering new springs front and rear.Car is going from V6 with air to V8 without.Probably go with the moog V8 without air.Should we be looking for constant rate or variable rate springs?Can answer any other questions about the car if someone has any as far as recommendations from previous experience...not interested in any lowering springs.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I find the OE rate springs to be way too soft on all the G bodies. I prefer not having to crawl over large dips in the road, especially at speed. I have Moog 5660s in the front of my wagon, no more tires rubbing the liners on compression, and ride quality is good... firm but not rough or harsh. Wife's Flex is harsher ride than the wagon (I'm thinking because of the short sidewalls on the OE spec tires).

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

Lots of info in the link. If you're looking for stock ride, you probably want the MOOG 5606 in the front and MOOG 5379 for the rear.
Dan,
He probably already has the 5606 F41 springs up front. I've had them in my car for years and they did tend to raise the front a bit. However, they've settled over the years and it rides pretty firm. If i were to replace them...well the fronts at least, I'd go with either the 5658 or 5660 springs. 5660's are a popular spring for our cars.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the help....now we know what to consider as different options.
Hope the information has been helpful. Good luck with your choice...it shouldn't be too difficult.
The MOOG chart should help you dial in the right springs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oilman666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2013
Austria/Europe
I run Moog 5662 on the front and Moog 5379 on the back. Huge improvement in handling, stance is perfect (no lowering, but also no hanging back).

Combine it with Koni red shock absorbers for a little extra sporty touch.

Cheers

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor