Gathering parts to repaint the 442. sticker kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
So my 86 442 has not been stored outside since bought it or even in a garage with windows. But got the clear cote crack . In places discolored so bad looks like white haze. GM was supposed to repaint in 88 but local GM garage put it off to long.

So other than the funds to have done right $2500-3000 for a take apart job . Are there any sticker manufacturers you guys recommend. I see kits from $200 and up . What a good factory type set. I have a NOS purchased in 88 set but body man says they feel brittle .

thanks

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
I thought all paint back then was single stage Laquer, no clear coat...it's prob Lacquer checking, which needs to be sanded out

I'm sure Blake442 will chime in with where to get the decals from since I seen a post not to long ago about something similar

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
350_85cutty said:
I thought all paint back then was single stage Laquer, no clear coat...it's prob Lacquer checking, which needs to be sanded out

I'm sure Blake442 will chime in with where to get the decals from since I seen a post not to long ago about something similar

thanks
Nope base and clear According to GM at time .I know they repainted allot of cars then . Either way needs to be done . I clean real well and paint actually looks like lifting in areas.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Unfortunately, nobody makes the decals in the "correct" factory style.

The factory stripes as you know are one piece, with the gold stripes surrounded by body color.

All the reproduction stripe kits out there are just the gold stripes, meaning you'll have to CAREFULLY measure where to break off the two-tone colors in order for the stripes to end up in the right spot, whereas the factory stripe kits allowed a certain amount of fudging with where you broke off the paint, since the stripe would cover up the seam.

My 442 had been painted several years before I bought it, and didn't have the stripes when I got it.
I bought a kit from Phoenix Graphics, and am pretty happy with it.
Who ever painted the car didn't break off the colors in the right spots, so they're close, but not as perfect as I'd like.

The NOS decals you have are the best possible option.
If any spots have separated from the backing, there is decal adhesive that will be able to remedy any issues.
Tell your body guy to stop being such a p*ssy. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor