Help with shorting steering shaft

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Hello, I have a steering shaft for a 93' Jeep that I bought new. I have both ends fitting just fine, but the steering shaft is too long. It seems to be collapsible, but I can't get it to.
How the heck am I supposed to shorten this thing?
1000007267.jpg

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Hello, I have a steering shaft for a 93' Jeep that I bought new. I have both ends fitting just fine, but the steering shaft is too long. It seems to be collapsible, but I can't get it to.
How the heck am I supposed to shorten this thing?
View attachment 239520
On my factory shaft it was sticking I put some old burnt motor oil onto the joint and let it soak in then, I took a hammer and a wrench and tapped the one end sideways after moving it back and forth a few times it got looser you could try that hold one end or put it in a vise of sorts ?on stuff truly rusted back in the day they would take a heating torch and swell the outer pipe up I doubt youl do that !

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
On my factory shaft it was sticking I put some old burnt motor oil onto the joint and let it soak in then, I took a hammer and a wrench and tapped the one end sideways after moving it back and forth a few times it got looser you could try that hold one end or put it in a vise of sorts ?on stuff truly rusted back in the day they would take a heating torch and swell the outer pipe up I doubt youl do that !
I did heat it up some with a small propane torch, plus oil, but it won't move. I have it in the freezer now

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Hmmm, If I remember right there's an injected plastic (like on newer u-joints) that has to be melted out to get it to move.

Hutch
Yes, this. A lot of heat and it popped right out. I was able to easily remove the very tough plastic keeping it together after it was in two pieces. It now collapses more easily, but is still tight.

Reactions: 2 users

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Yes, this. A lot of heat and it popped right out. I was able to easily remove the very tough plastic keeping it together after it was in two pieces. It now collapses more easily, but is still tight.
Tight you can live with "

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
On your original steering shaft assembly. The top coupler also had a slip joint to allow for in and out movement, length change.
You no longer have that. On a full frame car, especially one with the body mounted on rubber bushings. The steering shaft needs the slip joint.
The collapsible portion of the Jeep shaft is for an accident. The original shaft also has that too. That is not a slip joint. How hard it is to move that should tell you something.

These move around alot. Go jack up the car by the front left corner and let it sag. Now imagine drag launches and driving on a bumpy road.

I'm not here to tell people what to and what not to put on their car but there is nothing in the steering box OR the steering column to account for the length change.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor