Roller Cam Retrofit worthwhile ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Cam Shopping for my older block ( no provision for the roller setup ) and I cant help but look at the Roller Camshafts and wonder if a retro-fit kit be worthwile ?
Looking specifically at these 2 kits from Howards. They use link bars so the lifters dont spin in the bores. Looks to be a better setup ( although more expensive ) to me rather than clearancing my block, drilling and tapping for the spinder assembly and grinding down the dogbones from a donor motor. But the operating range max would be 5600 rpm ( assuming because of the link bar ).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl110245-12
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-c ... /chevrolet

Are there any other drawbacks / advantages that I am missing ? I have given thought to grabbing a newer block and swapping over all my good rotating assembly as well but it seems a lot of work if the reward is not great enough.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's worth it, I have the ZZ4 roller cam and it sure livened up the engine plus if I keep my foot out of it it improved the gas mileage and no worries about zinc being in the oil I use plus no break in needed.....no draw backs IMO

Josh Hanna

Greasemonkey
Feb 3, 2013
Coral Spings FL
i have a small base circle thumper cam for a small block chevy brand new in a box for sale?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
axisg said:
Cam Shopping for my older block ( no provision for the roller setup ) and I cant help but look at the Roller Camshafts and wonder if a retro-fit kit be worthwile ?
Looking specifically at these 2 kits from Howards. They use link bars so the lifters dont spin in the bores. Looks to be a better setup ( although more expensive ) to me rather than clearancing my block, drilling and tapping for the spinder assembly and grinding down the dogbones from a donor motor. But the operating range max would be 5600 rpm ( assuming because of the link bar ).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl110245-12
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-c ... /chevrolet

Are there any other drawbacks / advantages that I am missing ? I have given thought to grabbing a newer block and swapping over all my good rotating assembly as well but it seems a lot of work if the reward is not great enough.

The older 2 piece rear main seal blocks were not designed to use a factory roller set up so you would be unable to drill and tap for the spider hold down since there are no stand offs to drill, that is where the retrofits roller cams come in.
The advantages are you will make a little more power than an equal flat tappet, less friction and easy break in. The only disadvantage is they usually cost more.

The advantages of a newer 1 piece rear main block is that there are provisions for a factory roller whether it came with one or not (might have to drill and tap the stand offs)
They use a retaining plate on the front of the cam to hold it in place ( a retro would need a cam button) you might have a set of factory roller lifters that can be reused on the new cam, which would save money.

Also the RPM range listed is just the basic operating range, it has nothing to do with link bars or the lifters themselves it is based solely on the cam design. Some of the strongest and highest revving roller lifters have link bars holding them.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Yes. There is not cam break on, they will never goes flat, you get better vacuum and idle quality with bigger high lift cams.....its the one thing I wished I did with my olds. But until a SBC an olds engine will.coat about $1000 for lifters and cam.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I'm in the middle of doing my 406 install with the roller cam. I have never had one in the past, but my machinist said it was well worth it. He said to save up for a couple of months and get the retro kit, I wouldn't be sorry I did. Well, I will know in a week or so. At least if you do a cam change, if the roller lifters are in good order, you can reused them. They are what cost so much in the kit.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Yes. Worthwhile. The risk associated with low zinc oils and break in failure easily justifies. That along with less parasitic losses, no lubricity issues idling in heavy traffic and the ability to take advantage of higher ramp velocities make it a no brainer. We do not perform engine builds for anybody if a roller cam is refused. From a warranty standpoint, it's just not worth the problems. Yes, tag on an extra $800 or so above a standard flat tappet.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I was thinking about a Howard's roller cam myself for my 388 stroker and I believe that this would be worthwhile..I do have the 85 year block, 2 piece rear main and I believe there are no issues with them, so long as you get the correct kit...

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
My machinist said the Erson cams and cam kits are good as long as you don't use the timing chain/sprockets in the kits. That's what I put in my 406, along with a billet steel double roller timing kit. And the kits are a fraction of the price of CompCam kits. And they are made in the USA. There are some specs and prices on http://www.usaperform.com. I ordered my cam through my machinist, but I did talk to a guy from the site on the phone and he was very knowledgeable and helpful, I think his name was Tom.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Best research I could find was comp cams camquest software. I know its not a real benchmark but it sure makes it easier to compare apples to apples. Entering my setup heres what I pulled up.

268h
$ 200.00
454 / 454 lift
218/218 duration
made 327 hp + 404 tq

closest retrofit I could find that made close to the same HP while retaining my convertor was CL12-408-8
$717.00 + $ 40.00 pushrods
480 / 487 lift
206/202 duration
made 325hp + 416 tq

$ 500.00 for 10 ft/lb of tq ? What am I missing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor