Steering box.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Are you willing to grind an old steering box?

My return line fitting from the power steering reservoir is very close to a rib on my steering box. I want to grind the rib or boss off for clearance.
Before I do I just want to confirm there is nothing under there like an oil passage or something. It's a low mileage quick ratio box. I'd rather check on a throw away steering box before grinding and potentially ruining it.

Attachments

• 20240413_170049.jpg
    20240413_170049.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Just carefully bend the line up a little. That line won't move after it's installed so as long as it's not touching the box, it should be ok. I actually just enlarged your picture and it looks like the line is bent down and kinked. I would just replace that line and put the proper bend in it.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
They make aluminum reservoirs for those. Might be a better option. You can essentially put the return anywhere you need.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The nipple sticking out of the Holley power steering reservoir is a hard plastic. Bending will probably break it.

I took the reservoir off to pursue the remote reservoir idea. There is no threads, just a shallow cavity that is waiting for a short barb on the reservoir, the orange o ring seals it.
Not sure what I can reliably stick in there and expect it to stay. Probably doable by fabricating a bracket or something but the fact is, not easily. I think I am back to clearancing the rib on the steering box.

Who has a scrap box we can grind down? I will pay you.

Attachments

• 20240423_193236.jpg
    20240423_193236.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You could put a fitting in place of the plastic elbow. But it would require cutting off the original and most likely void the warranty.

That’s the same style piece of plastic as found in factory truck manifolds. I’ve put NPT fittings in place of many of the manifold nipples.

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
When I replied to your post, I was looking at the steel line in the gear. I didn't see the plastic nipple in the reservoir! I guess I should have put my glasses on! I see no reason not to grind that rib a little for clearance, but it looks like the line may still hit the rest of the gear unless you install an angle fitting on the hose. I does look like the short steel line in the steering gear is kinked and should be replaced.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor