Timing Tab - Stock CCC 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I had a difficult time finding the tab trying to peer past the A/C and emission equipment.
I can't tell where the reference TDC cut out is. My tab has the tube and a 3 notch(visible) tab. I can't read any numbers. My 'flash' is at the 2nd notch before TDC. How is the timing?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
First notch is 0 degrees, second notch is 6 degrees BTDC which is the stock setting. Third notch is 10 degrees BTDC which is more power.

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Thank you!.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Here is a clear pic of the timing tab - numbers missing. Even the paint I applied and then wiped reveal no digits or lines.
P1120196.JPG

Looking at the spacing the middle notch is more than 1/2 way and that would correspond to 6.
It all makes sense now.

Last edited:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
and it scares me every time ! With the SS nose I need to get up on a milk crate and lean over the fan and shroud to shine the timing light straight down behind the water pump to see what's going on. All the while the fan is spinning inches away. Then dialing in the "all in" timing I do it with the motor revving at 2500 rpms while I reach over the motor to move the distributor to get the timing right. The older I get the stronger the visions of losing a couple digits are.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You'll need to clean the balancer to find to mark and then highlight it with a paint pen or chalk

stock_tab_2.jpg

timing-marks.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Thanks...so that's what the numbers look like! I guess the oil leak prevented the tab from rusting. Is it just me or does it look like the tabs were handmade using a triangle file? I'll need to check the timing again - I may be at 12 * BTDC: > half tank of last years gas mixed with a fresh batch = ping city

I was bitten once by turning the distributor with the engine running. My hand flew back so hard it hit the hinge. This was when I was playing with the mechanical advance on my S10 swap. Ahh, the good old days before computers tuned engines.

ratbuddy

n00b
Oct 29, 2016
and it scares me every time ! With the SS nose I need to get up on a milk crate and lean over the fan and shroud to shine the timing light straight down behind the water pump to see what's going on. All the while the fan is spinning inches away. Then dialing in the "all in" timing I do it with the motor revving at 2500 rpms while I reach over the motor to move the distributor to get the timing right. The older I get the stronger the visions of losing a couple digits are.

I had similar concerns, so I grabbed this thing https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013I2BZ7S/?tag=gbody-20 and taped it in place just inside the hole in the timing cover, before starting the car. I didn't record my later (much more successful) use, but my first try is here

Once you figure out where to hang the wire and tape it, it works good, I think I used the upper radiator hose and painters tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor