1 wire alternator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabelowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2011
If I get a one wire alt can I snip the wires from the old harness for the 3 wire setup? Actually the harness has 2 wires and one goes all the way to the fuse box. Can I clip them without any problems down the road?

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i wouldnt cut them wires .if them wires are trouble free its better setup than a 1 wire setup.down fall with a 1 wire setup is that is has a high draw when engine is off ,also when you start the engine you have to rise idle around 1000-1500 rpm just to trigger the alt to start charging.

wannabelowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2011
nycutlass said:
i wouldnt cut them wires .if them wires are trouble free its better setup than a 1 wire setup.down fall with a 1 wire setup is that is has a high draw when engine is off ,also when you start the engine you have to rise idle around 1000-1500 rpm just to trigger the alt to start charging.
I wanna clean up the wiring a bit by adding a 1 wire alt. I know its just like one or two wires less, but hey it should look cleaner and cleaner is what I want. Isn't 1000- 1500 rpm an average normal idle? If it helps, I have a sbc 305 in my Regal now.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
you do what you want ...stock motors around 1,000 rpm is normal idle ,in gear around 700 rpm for a stock setup .i just wouldnt cut them if they work correct .....what style 1 wire alt did you buy ?

wannabelowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2011
nycutlass said:
you do what you want ...stock motors around 1,000 rpm is normal idle ,in gear around 700 rpm for a stock setup .i just wouldnt cut them if they work correct .....what style 1 wire alt did you buy ?
I haven't bought one yet but I can get a link if you'd like. I was actually thinking of clipping the wire a bout a good foot from where it goes to the firewall into the fuse panel, just in case I have to splice a wire back. I just thought id ask the G Body guys before I mess stuff up.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
well if you havent gottin one yet and you see your future going with power hungry electronics .. i suggest going with a cs130 alternator (this is where that thin wire on your harness you want to cut is important lol you can get a wire adapter or hook up the cs alternator trigger wire to it ), its a direct bolt in for the gen 1 chevy motors. and if your handy you can mod in the cs144 alternator is bigger but a monster !...in stock form the cs alternators run 100-144 amps at low rpms !

this is just general info you pick whats best for your project.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
its up to you ...it will work ...you have a couple options now to pick from .

wannabelowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2011
nycutlass said:
its up to you ...it will work ...you have a couple options now to pick from .
Hmm...decisions decisions. I really would like to snip the one wire if it won't cause problems for me later since I won't be needing it. What is that wire for is what I should me asking. Is it for the stock motor? There's guys using the same alts on another forums website I'm registered to but nobody has answered me there.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
in simple terms ...that thin wire on the plug is the trigger wire for the alternator (its what turns the alternator on and off on a 3 wire setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor