11.5 inch tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clanceman427

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2010
West Chester, PA
Wow I am surprised by some of the fitments that you guys are getting. For my 83 monte, I have 28.5x11.5 phoenix F/X bias ply slicks and both sides stick out. Remember though that I'm using a ford 9" rear with stock monte bracket attaching points. I have to use a 3.5" backspace rim on pass. side on a 15x10 rim, and a 4" backspace rim with a wheel spacer (don't remember the thickness, .25" maybe) but through experimentation it is what was needed to maximize space while not rubbing. I could see my inside sidewalls had the rub ring so while I dialed in the combos I sprayed grey primer on the rub spots on the frame until I made passes down the track and didn't see the primer rubbed off at all. My car launches straight with the use of an air bag on pass. side only, which controls the "torque launch", so when it leaves the line the front end lifts level, not twisted driver's side higher than pass. side (which leads to more tire rub problems). So I have 2 mismatched rims out back (weld draglite on pass. side, cragar ss/t on drivers side) but oh well, it's dialed in.

I did a thread on here describing the fender flare project I did on my car. The slicks sticking out was wreaking havoc on my car (rubber, rocks, gravel etc. gettting thrown all over because the slicks stuck out). They really work well.

Kevin

Clanceman427

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2010
West Chester, PA
Sorry, it was another site that I did the fender flare recap, but here's a few pics to give you an idea of my fitment with 28.5x11.5 slick on 15x10 rim:

Attachments

• CIMG0899%20-%20Copy.JPG
    CIMG0899%20-%20Copy.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,871
  • CIMG0907%20-%20Copy.JPG
    CIMG0907%20-%20Copy.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,628

Paul86SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2011
565bbchevy said:
The section width on the ET Streets are only slightly wider but the tires are a little shorter and have less tread width than the 275/60 drag radials, the same still applies though and remember you should run a bias ply in the front also (I had the MT 28" tall frontrunners on my car). I myself would mount one of the tires on the rim you plan on using with a standard valve stem and check any possible clearance issues with the frame,wheelwell or the sidewall sticking out before you commit to mounting with tubes and possibly rim screws. Incorrect backspacing is usually the biggest problem with tire fitment. What kind of rims are you using?

I wanted to go with a set of torq thrust but summit makes a set of rims that look almost identical to them for half the price type in summit legend in their search menu

Mr.Larry

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2011
I had 18x10 torque thrust II on my malibu with a 5 inch backspace and my frame is notched. I am not sure if it is of any help to you but there is a pic in my sig.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Parena86ss said:
565bbchevy said:
The section width on the ET Streets are only slightly wider but the tires are a little shorter and have less tread width than the 275/60 drag radials, the same still applies though and remember you should run a bias ply in the front also (I had the MT 28" tall frontrunners on my car). I myself would mount one of the tires on the rim you plan on using with a standard valve stem and check any possible clearance issues with the frame,wheelwell or the sidewall sticking out before you commit to mounting with tubes and possibly rim screws. Incorrect backspacing is usually the biggest problem with tire fitment. What kind of rims are you using?

I wanted to go with a set of torq thrust but summit makes a set of rims that look almost identical to them for half the price type in summit legend in their search menu

The Summit wheels are offered in a 3.75 and 4.50 backspace on 15 x 8 Legend 5. I would go with 3.75 bs the 4.50 will hit the frame without a notch. The frame notching is really not that complicated if you or someone you know has some fabrication skills and a mig(and knows how to use it) it opens the door to a few more choices.
The tire you want to run is basically about as large as your wheelwell will fit and to keep it from rubbing on the frame the section width will probably stick out a little. I prefer to have no part of the tire stick out beyond the wheel lip but in a race tire I will tolerate a little of the section width but never the tread.
You might want to consider buying Percy's Wheelrite tire fitment tool #PHP-01201 $74 at Summit or something similar and do some mock ups before you buy rims, most places will not accept a rim back if a tire has been mounted.

Paul86SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2011
565bbchevy said:
Parena86ss said:
565bbchevy said:

The Summit wheels are offered in a 3.75 and 4.50 backspace on 15 x 8 Legend 5. I would go with 3.75 bs the 4.50 will hit the frame without a notch. The frame notching is really not that complicated if you or someone you know has some fabrication skills and a mig(and knows how to use it) it opens the door to a few more choices.
The tire you want to run is basically about as large as your wheelwell will fit and to keep it from rubbing on the frame the section width will probably stick out a little. I prefer to have no part of the tire stick out beyond the wheel lip but in a race tire I will tolerate a little of the section width but never the tread.
You might want to consider buying Percy's Wheelrite tire fitment tool #PHP-01201 $74 at Summit or something similar and do some mock ups before you buy rims, most places will not accept a rim back if a tire has been mounted.

Thanks for all the input i really appreciate it do you thinkI would just be better off going with 10.5 I just wanted to get the biggest tire without having to get crazy with fabricating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor