looking at a 1 inch drop

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
i need to make a few points 1st. i never intended to do this, i bought refurbed bucket seats that changed the height for the worse and i'm in a wheelchair so slightest height changes can ruin things.
that said i now struggle to get in my car cuz its about a inch higher to do so. i also have to consult my mechanic if this even possible with wheel clearance, was going to get a front end rebuild done anyway and rear suspension done a bit later.

things i looked at so far are drop springs till seen this disaster (i can't afford to fk this up)
then looked at the cheap way out with $40 spring clamps till watching the draw backs of em that i never considered (its the 1st 1 covered in this vid and exact ones was lookin at)

currently am looking at coil overs, in some ways i don't like the idea of them cuz all the extra bolt brackets & so on aside of prices. how are they once bolted on and do they need reg maintenance?

i read some posts mentioning 1" taller lower ball joints?

any & all input is welcome.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
i should prolly ad a few things, current springs are 1986 factory and wheels are 17x8 3.5" BS with 245/50 17 OD 26.6". i owned this car 20 yrs, previous owner bought new then let it sit for 10 yrs before i bought with 40k mile so nothing has ever been changed steering or suspensionwise.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I can't give great advice on the issue, but I can say don't forget that you need a 1" drop from its current height which is probably lower than it was originally. For instance, if your 37 year old springs are sagging by 2" then a pair of 1" drop springs would actually raise the car higher.

Yes, taller lower ball joints will lower the car the same as their difference from stock- 1/2" taller lowers you a 1/2", etc.. Using the 1" taller LBJs isn't unheard of but doing so can cause issues regarding the steering geometry.

Honestly, the best route is to deal with the seat height- I'd try to either alter the brackets, buy different ones, or change the seats. I believe any of these will be cheaper and easier than altering the ride height. It also prevents other unforseen problems from coming up.

I wish I had better suggestions. Hopefully it all works out without too much of a hassle.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If this is about seat height, then I would consider switching to power bases if you are currently using manual tracks because it can be adjusted lower and for me because I am tall I also made relocation brackets for the driver's seat to move it rearward which won't lower the seat but might give you more room to get in.
IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I'll second the power seat suggestion and can verify that they do indeed adjust to be lower than the standard brackets, and it's easily over a 1" difference. Were there power bucket seats available? If so you'd want those bases. The split bench brackets bolt to the floor in the same place as the bucket seat brackets, but would require modification to work with bucket seats.

Reactions: 1 user

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
If this is about seat height, then I would consider switching to power bases if you are currently using manual tracks because it can be adjusted lower and for me because I am tall I also made relocation brackets for the driver's seat to move it rearward which won't lower the seat but might give you more room to get in.
View attachment 231503
View attachment 231513
i thought of that too, yes do have the manual tracks. when had to have car equipped (my 1st monte) it was required that a power base was installed along with push button shifter not that i needed either and both failed with the seat stuck all the way fwd within 1st month, i had tol get real creative to get outta that. i'm looking at all options including taking my old seats using the passenger side seat bun put into the old driver side with new upholstery.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I can't give great advice on the issue, but I can say don't forget that you need a 1" drop from its current height which is probably lower than it was originally. For instance, if your 37 year old springs are sagging by 2" then a pair of 1" drop springs would actually raise the car higher.

Yes, taller lower ball joints will lower the car the same as their difference from stock- 1/2" taller lowers you a 1/2", etc.. Using the 1" taller LBJs isn't unheard of but doing so can cause issues regarding the steering geometry.

Honestly, the best route is to deal with the seat height- I'd try to either alter the brackets, buy different ones, or change the seats. I believe any of these will be cheaper and easier than altering the ride height. It also prevents other unforseen problems from coming up.

I wish I had better suggestions. Hopefully it all works out without too much of a hassle.
yeah i factored all that in cuz it would have to drop 1" from current height.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Since the bolts for the hand controls are hitting your knees upon entry I have to ask: Would it be possible to use lower profile bolts with rounded heads, or maybe shave the controls to be less obtrusive? I've seen and actually operated a few when I was a tire tech but cant recall exactly what they look like. I do remember that it made power-braking a simple one handed operation though

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Since the bolts for the hand controls are hitting your knees upon entry I have to ask: Would it be possible to use lower profile bolts with rounded heads, or maybe shave the controls to be less obtrusive? I've seen and actually operated a few when I was a tire tech but cant recall exactly what they look like. I do remember that it made power-braking a simple one handed operation though

those are exact controls i have. a lil long but it has good close up shots of the handle & the knuckle that holds in the rod to the break, its very tight to the column despite bein old and sloppy, it will till hug the column. its basically the entire lever after the grip.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I've got a lot on my list today but I'll try to come back around to this tonight. I watched the video and totally understand how that whole thing would just scrape you up, and it's pretty much exactly how I remembered it operating. Hopefully we can figure something out for ya.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor