Wellston, OK

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I propose a new category, 'Legend Lore'. This link needs to be in there, as well as one for the 'Black Air' film.

Reactions: 1 user

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
A solid body on frame RWD platform. Am guessing the "Iraqis" didn't know how to service or repair them. Far better than the later FWD stuff that replaced them, in terms of durability.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As stated in the video, GM built approximately 25,000 of these cars at the Oshawa Ontario plant in 1981. Also as stated, there were issues with the cars that were shipped to Iraq. As for why the deal fell apart, there seems to be 2 schools of thought. Number 1 is that because of the issues with the cars, Iraq refused the final shipment(s). Number 2 is that Iraq couldn't afford to pay for the rest of the cars. By now, the reason or reasons why those 12,500 cars ended up here really don't matter. Supposedly, those cars were sent down the Oshawa assembly line for a second time, to have federal emission controls retrofitted to them, so they could be sold here in Canada, and were sold off here at a discounted price. If memory serves, the selling price on them was around $6,500.00 new. They were a pretty basic car, but they had a heavy duty A/C system on them. I've owned 3 of them over the years, and I can tell you that when the A/C system was working properly, and using the R12 refrigerant, you could hang meat in those cars.
If I had to find an upside in this story, I'd say that it made for quite a few manual transmission conversion parts to be available as the cars got to the end of their life cycles.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
What were the "issues"? Those were solid cars. Maybe the "deal" wasn't so solid as Oshawa/GM thought it was.
There was the IRAN / IRAQ war going on as well, at that time, that may have had a lot to do with the deal going south.
Remember the news reports of it, from that time. The war soon turned into a stalemate, and lasted eight years.

Last edited:

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
What were the "issues"? Those were solid cars. Maybe the "deal" wasn't so solid as Oshawa/GM thought it was.
There was the IRAN / IRAQ war going on as well, at that time, that may have had a lot to do with the deal going south.
Remember the news reports of it, from that time. The war soon turned into a stalemate, and lasted eight years.
More than a million dead in that proxy war. All the big powers got behind Saddam, sent weapons, because the powers (USA, France, etc.) wanted regime change (again) in Iran. Somehow, the big thinkers rationalize megadeaths as necessary each decade with each new proxy war. Satan is always busy.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor