15x10 wheels on cutty....what tire size should i get

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
i recently picked up some chevy rally rims for my 80 cutlass. the rears are widened to 15x10 with 3.5" backspace, the fronts are 15x6 with 4.5" backspace. after alot of research i now have a better understanding of tire sizing than i ever thought i would..lol..but i need some pics of different sizes so i can decide what to order. the rears are what im confused on of course. from what i can tell i have it narrowed down to somewhere between a 295/50R15 to a 325 . id like to keep the total height down to around 26" i think. i have tried tirerack.com and few other places, but they are really useless as far as deciding on a size. i dont mind if they stick out from the quarters a little. so i was hoping some of you guys running this size rim could post some pics of your car with the tire size so i can get an idea of what theyll look like before i order. i like the width of the 325, but far as i can tell it would have to be something like a 325/40r15 to keep the height down to where i THINK i want it. and so far those seem pretty pricey. id like to see what a 295/50r15 and a 325/50r15 or anything in that range looks like. if possible from the side and the rear. any help. suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
That's a really wide rim, its also a 15, and your desire to not go too tall is really limiting your choices.

Summitracing.com has a pretty good tire lookup feature. If you pick fifteen inch, for example, it lists every 15 inch tire they have. Some are bias ply, most are radial.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
yeah, i think im stuck with a 28" tall tire if i go with 325's . id like to see a pic of some 325/50r15's and a pic of some 295/50r15's on a cutlass, or at least any G-body just so i can make up my mind. i am just not sure if the 28" tall tire will be to much or not. i have been through summit, jegs and tire rack, and so far all i can find in a shorter 325 is a coker tire that cost more than i want to spend on all 4 for just 1 :shock:

BTW... heres a really neat chart comparing all the facts on the leading 295/50r15's on the market. shows everything from hiegth to section and trad witdth to revolutions per mile.
http://www.primequip.net/tire_choices.htm

BillsHoe

Apprentice
Aug 28, 2011
Zoo York
I don't believe you will get anything more than a 275 tire back there. I have a 255 60 on 8 inch and it fills the wheel well. Good luck.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
BillsHoe said:
I don't believe you will get anything more than a 275 tire back there. I have a 255 60 on 8 inch and it fills the wheel well. Good luck.

nah, ill get bigger. im not trying to keep them inside the wheel wells. i originally built this car in my head when i was 15, back when it was still cool to have your tires stick out... :rofl: ... im going for something like the pic below. later down the road ill mini-tub and notch the frame rails and maybe tuck them in some.

Attachments

• killer cutlass.jpg
    killer cutlass.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 6,342

BillsHoe

Apprentice
Aug 28, 2011
Zoo York
lesbaldridge said:
BillsHoe said:

nah, ill get bigger. im not trying to keep them inside the wheel wells. i originally built this car in my head when i was 15, back when it was still cool to have your tires stick out... :rofl: ... im going for something like the pic below. later down the road ill mini-tub and notch the frame rails and maybe tuck them in some.

Ok I thought to keep under the car. Still like the old day when the tires were huge also! good luck

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
lesbaldridge said:
BillsHoe said:

That car would look cool with a straight axle under the front.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
i always loved the 55' chevys with straight axle and black primer. one of my favorite cars of all time. im thinking i am going with BF Goodrich's 295/50r15 radial T/A's . i could only find one manufacturer who makes a 325/40r15 and im sure in the hell not paying corky coker $700 per tire to lose an inch of heigth. frigin ridiculus, all kinds of 325/50r15's on the market for around $200 apiece, but coker is the only one making a 40 series 325 and its 3 times as much. i know alot of guys are going with the larger rims these days, but theres still plenty of guys running around on 15's that dont need a 28" tall tire just to get a little meat under there.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
Chris Van said:
lesbaldridge said:
BillsHoe said:

That car would look cool with a straight axle under the front.

I'm thinking straight axle and a blower!

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
a blower is on my wish list..LOl. im not so sure about the straight axle thing though. i definitely like that look on the older cars, but im having trouble picturing it on a cutty. on a more relevant ( to the original post at least ) note, i have managed to find a few pics of cuttys with both 295 and 325 series wheels on them using google image search. i know i can fit both, and im still on the fence. if i get a chance later ill post some of the pics i grabbed off google image search. the 325's are of course a little more expensive but not to much more. knowing me i probably wont make up my mind for sure untill 5 minutes before i order them. if any of you guys want to speculate more on ideas for the project or whatever drop by over on my project thread. any ideas and/or input is always welcome. if anyone can find a pic of a straight axle's cutty post it over there, id love to see one. heres a link to the thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35365

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor