160 v. 180 thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
On the highway today it was around 210 and cools down to about 190 on the street. I have to drive it from san antonio to college station. I'm going to be doing a gear swap in the next couple days.

I currently have a 3.73 auburn posi in the rear and she runs 4000rpm at 70mph. Since I'm going to be going highway speeds for almost the whole trip to and from, I bought an 84' el camino rear end that has an open 2.41 gear. So with the gear swap and going with a stant 160 thermostat, this baby should run nice and cool on the highway.

Should I drill a couple 1/8 or 1/4 inch relief holes in the thermostat anyway or just put it in first and see how it does?

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
patmckinneyracing said:
On the highway today it was around 210 and cools down to about 190 on the street. I have to drive it from san antonio to college station. I'm going to be doing a gear swap in the next couple days.

Should I drill a couple 1/8 or 1/4 inch relief holes in the thermostat anyway or just put it in first and see how it does?

thats funny mine runs cooler on the highway than the street as far as the holes go, i've done it but i never notice a difference i change out my thermostat every 6 months

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
patmckinneyracing said:
The cooling system is fine on my car. I have a new 3 core radiator and swapped out the clutch fan for a straight one. I have to have this car ready to be a long distance driver for when I go to college.

I'd put a clutch fan back on it if it were me. Less noise, and you don't really need it to spin at 4K on the highway, there's plenty of air coming through at 70 MPH.

I'd also look into finding a 7 blade fan, since yours probably has a 5 blade on it now.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
check this out too just in case

Not sure if your joking. I know I started that thread lol.

Blake 442, my car does have the factory 5 blade fan. I swapped out the factory clutch before because for some reason it wouldn't kick on and the motor would overheat. Maybe cause the factory clutch had a lot of caked on grease or I had spray painted it black, but who knows.

Brickbeats

n00b
Jul 3, 2008
The only problem I had with a 160 degree t-stat in my 84 regal with the olds 403 with a clutchless fan is that i did drive it in the winter here in Cincy and it would never warm up. I had to block off the radiator with cardboard. I'm getting ready to put a 180 degree t-stat in my 93 olds 88 to lower operating temps....

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
since you're turning 4k, i'd say that's the problem. the gear change by itself will probably be enough, especially since 210 is still safe. many 90's GM's run at 220.
drilling the stat won't hurt either, but i do 2-1/16 holes on either side of the housing as close to the disc as possible. i once did more than that and it was way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor