19 year old's 84 cutlass build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Alright so I went out last night and measured my piston dome CC. The reason I had done this was because it was an unknown factor (unlike normal flat tops are usually -4 to -6cc due to valve relieves) as to how big the dome was in CC's which you need to know for figuring compression. As you can tell it's an important value.

Now there is a couple ways you could go about figuring the CC but this way is the best to do with the short block still assembled. You will need a few things. Something to measure distance. Preferably a dial indicator or caliper, vasoline, a burrette or something to measure liquid in CC (syringe works good.) a flat object with a hole in it to seal the top of the bore.

Your biggest factor here is going to be your know distance. You need rotate the engine to a predetiermand distance. I.E. .250, 1 inch, BDC, or like I did in my case for the sake of making my math easier I went to .500 or 1/2 inch which I measured with the dial caliper. You will now need to do a math formula to calculate the open area of the bore without the piston. You will need to know your bore diameter. This is where the caliper comes in handy again.

My engine is a 283 so the stock bore is 3.875 but, my block had been bored .030 taking it to 3.905. I still confirmed this with the caliper and it is indeed 3.905. So here is the formula that will give you the volume of the open area in CC's

Bore x bore x distance in the hole x .7854 x 16.39

So this is how my calculated.

3.905 x 3.905 x .500 x .7854 x 16.39

Which came out to 98.1481078.

Now you have the caluclated volume of the open area we will continue. Since your piston is at your predetermined distance you can now proceed to apply vasoline around the end of the piston to seal your bore to keep your liquid from leaking. After that is complete wipe the access off enough to where it still doesn't leak.

Now vasoline the outside of the top of the bore for your flat piece of material you will be using. I used an old cd. Once you vasolined it lighty touch your finger on the vasoline to make it look kinda of puffy is the best word I can think of you can see what I'm talking about in the picture. This will ensure that the material seals to the bore and doesn't leak.

Now have your liquid ready. I used a 60 mL syringe. 1 mL = 1CC the value is the same. So I filled up the bore with 60 mL of water and still had room. I then put 15 more in, then let it sit for about 30 seconds to see if would bubble any air out then I proceeded to add 3 more cc's of liquid. I got a total of 78 mL in.

Now that open area value comes in to effect now. You need to subtract your CC's from the liquid from the open area CC.

98.1481078 - 78 = 20.1481078

So now I know my dome volume. It is 20.1481078. I simply rounded it down to 20.1. Which is a really big dome! The whole CC process took about 5 minutes to do. It's pretty need to do all the little calaculations to make the best running engine possible!

Now while you have the dial caliper out might as well check your deck clearance! I checked my to see if the block had ever been decked or not and found out that I have 1 millimeter of clearance between the top of the piston and the deck. Which comes out to .03937. I rounded down to .039. Which means the deck is untouched. All small block chevy blocks come .025 to .040 from the factory and the reason for the vary is because of machineing tolerances and such.

Now that I know my deck height, bore size, stroke, dome volume, I can begin to start deciding on what thickiness of gasket I need. You need to know your deck clearance to help with figuring the quench or "squesh" of the combustion chamber. It comes down to how effiencant it makes the combustion and power making process go. The tighter the quench the more power you will make.

A little better explaining of the quench area to people who are familiar with it is when the piston comes to top dead center all the air and fuel is being compressed. Well anybody that had ever had a head off an engine will have noticed you have a flat area and the combustion chamber inside the bore. Well the flat area is your Quench. When TDC is reached it squeezes all the air and fuel in that area and forces it in to the combustion chamber in a hurricane effect.

You can see now why you want a tighter quench. The tighter the better. Now there is a limit to how tight you can go. You don't want your piston to come flying up and nailing your head ruining it. I've seen people run crazy tight quenchs and very loose. If you really feel brave you could run smaller then .040 quench. But I wouldn't.

Most high performance engine builders whether they are Pro or just a really good bracket racer run .050 quench as the smallest. .040 can be done but you really need to know what your doing.

Now I'm not going to get this engine deck since it doesn't need it and I don't want to put much money into this engine since it will be getting me through till my 355 is finshed. So I've got .039 deck clearance, now I want that .050 quench but unless I deck the block it's not gonna happen. So I'm going to go with a .018 steel shim gasket. Which will put me at .057. Pretty close!

Now with that tight of a quench and the fact I'm running domes Piston to Valve clearance is going to be really important as well as cam selection. I may have to fly cut my pistons or go with a lower lift cam. So to get 10.5 to 1 compression with all these paremeters I will need to go with a 70cc chamber.

I'm ready to see if we can get this 283 to fly! 8)

Attachments

• IMG_20130108_213931_734.jpg
    IMG_20130108_213931_734.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_20130108_213805_136.jpg
    IMG_20130108_213805_136.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_20130108_213827_902.jpg
    IMG_20130108_213827_902.jpg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_20130108_213745_252.jpg
    IMG_20130108_213745_252.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 946
  • IMG_20130108_213906_325.jpg
    IMG_20130108_213906_325.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 947

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
LOOK AT DEM DOMES! Word.

I also forgot to add for CCing the pistons windshield washer fluid works good too!

Attachments

• IMG_20130108_220228_412.jpg
    IMG_20130108_220228_412.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 897

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
For the sake of accuracy, 1 ml of water is equal to one cc or cubic centimeter, not just any fluid. In fact it's not exactly equal but very very close. I'm sure windshield wiper fluid is close to the same, but because it has alcohol and other liquids in it, is some other density so will not take up exactly the same volume as water. I would personally use water to be the most accurate.

Although, this will probably only effect the precision by +- 1 cc and that's probably acceptable for most people.

The formula you posted for finding the empty volume was interesting. I like how you (or whoever derived it) eliminated pi from the equation by multiplying it by 1/4(which is 1/2 squared) to obtain the 0.7854 constant. An alternate one using pi(3.14159...) looks like this:

pi(3.14159...) x (bore / 2) x (bore / 2) x distance in the hole x 16.39

Those big domes should make for some easy compression. Thanks for posting the guide!

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
drogg1 said:
For the sake of accuracy, 1 ml of water is equal to one cc or cubic centimeter, not just any fluid. In fact it's not exactly equal but very very close. I'm sure windshield wiper fluid is close to the same, but because it has alcohol and other liquids in it, is some other density so will not take up exactly the same volume as water. I would personally use water to be the most accurate.

Although, this will probably only effect the precision by +- 1 cc and that's probably acceptable for most people.

The formula you posted for finding the empty volume was interesting. I like how you (or whoever derived it) eliminated pi from the equation by multiplying it by 1/4(which is 1/2 squared) to obtain the 0.7854 constant. An alternate one using pi(3.14159...) looks like this:

pi(3.14159...) x (bore / 2) x (bore / 2) x distance in the hole x 16.39

Those big domes should make for some easy compression. Thanks for posting the guide!

I did not know that about the differance in fluid volume. Thanks for that! Yeah I would rather use water because that's what we use to cc heads with at work but some of the pros for some reason don't like it because of the added surface tension so they reccomended mineral spirits and washer fluid. I know some people use rubbing alcohol.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Alright so the ball really got rolling today. While I was at work today I started working on my heads. I have a set of 882's right now that came on the 283 which kinda suck in stock form. Supposedly they flow 200 on the intake. Well tomorrow I'm going to throw them on the flow bench and get my base line.

So today I started cleaning up the heads and the ports a little bit with a cartridge roll to have a clean slate to test. After that is done I'm going to 5 angle valve job them to 1.94 intake and 1.60 exhaust on the valves. Right now the runner is stock 151cc. Well just by throating it there will be atleast 10cc's right there. Deffinatly has alot of meat in the head.

Current expection on how these heads will turn out after porting is 240cfm. But velocity is my biggest factor right now. I will be doing a sort of max all out effort on porting and polish. Then I will be installing screw in studs, installing bronze valve guides and throw on guide plates. I'm ready to turn these turds in to a polished turd! :lol:

Plug my combination in on our cam quest program and I'm looking at around 350 horse with the heads ported. I'm going to take it a step further and do some work on the intake as well. Just for poops and giggles we punched in the combo on there with a set of our 185cc heads and if I could afford to swing a set of those I'm looking well into the 425 to 475 range depending on the route I go with the cam.

Not to shabby from a little 283. Right now I have zero dollars still into. I'll probably have around 500 to 1,000 in it total. Yeah buddy! I can't wait to see the look on peoples faces when they see my G-Body is powered by a 283! Now here's the kicker I may stick with this 283 in the future and turbo it.

A buddy from work and me were talking and thinking about it. I could legit use 90 percent of the GN turbo system. So I might be going that route in the future. But I will need to drop the domes for dish, different cam and I would be going with a fuel injection set up for that.

Any hooters that's today's update!

ChevyRidinHigh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
Mission BC, Canada
at the moment , no idea what heads im gona throw into it, the entire top half is pretty much all stock as far as i can tell since all casting numbers are correct. But will be upgrading asap to throw out more power.
Hows your project coming along??

86monte

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2012
Vermont
The more you talk about engines, the more i realize that i don't know nearly enough about them lol. I just got my 96 350 stripped down to the block and now i have no idea what to do lol

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
ChevyRidinHigh said:
at the moment , no idea what heads im gona throw into it, the entire top half is pretty much all stock as far as i can tell since all casting numbers are correct. But will be upgrading asap to throw out more power.
Hows your project coming along??

Throw a set of pro-filer 185's on it! It's stalled on the porting till monday when I'm at work again but this weekend I'm going to go through the short block.

86monte said:
The more you talk about engines, the more i realize that i don't know nearly enough about them lol. I just got my 96 350 stripped down to the block and now i have no idea what to do lol

That's the best way to learn! Jump right in! It's pretty easy

ChevyRidinHigh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
Mission BC, Canada
Hopefully you find out why it died. My builds slow and steady, doesnt help due to rain/snow either lol.
So for now during winter im getting the interior all done. Gona get buckets and a console for it so when im ready to convert to standard itl be nice and easy to lock in with the console. But might throw it to console shift in the mean time for the auto th350 trans just to give it a cleaner look until i find a stock 4 speed standard transmission.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Well I got a little bit of a suprise today! I pulled the oil pan off and saw my 283 had an all forged bottom end and ARP rod bolts. Score! :D Just keeps getting better and better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor