1977 Buick Quadrajet (or Edelbrock, Holley, etc) Vacuum Line help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
ok, cool

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Before purchasing that, I would do some research over at V8Buick.com

They have a 350 Small block section where it might be a good idea to get some opinions.

I do know that one friend of mine with a 71 Skylark 350 ran a JET quadrajet, supposed to be for Buick, and it ended up that it was calibrated like a chevy with .125" air bleeds etc. Yes it ran. It ran lean all the time and he had detonation problems.

Its not just the throttle arm and which way the fuel inlet faces that makes a carb a buick or an oldsmobile or a chevy.

Not saying that will be your experience, but just putting it out there for your info. Pay attention to the calibration of the carb for best results.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok, cool. Thanks. This forum is awesome.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
That's why I would try to find an unmolested original. Rebuilds aren't too hard. The hardest part in tuning a Quadrajet in my opinion is the choke, but like everything else you reuse the original settings as a starting point. The JET and parts store remans are about the same. It's a gamble when the carb has already been messed with. Sometimes when the core parts are modified they end up going into finished carbs and nobody knew they were modified. If a main body is modified and ends up a core then it usually gets built and nobody knows. But if you want an already done carb the jet isn't a bad option. Going with a square bore Holley would require a new intake or you would have to use an adapter which is a performance killer. Edelbrock is the same, you need an intake or adapter. Holley does make a Quardajet replacement carb, I've never used one though.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
So, come monday i will be purchasing a dual jet carb. Ay of you know what connections for vacuum and the like i'd need? thanks.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How did you go from Q-jet to Dual-jet? Mounting not compatible, although the hoses and adjustments are the same.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
How did you go from Q-jet to Dual-jet? Mounting not compatible, although the hoses and adjustments are the same.
Forgot to mention, 4 barrel carb AND intake aren't in the budget. 2bbl Dual Jet for now.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Didn't a '77 Buick use a Rochester 2G carb? I don't think Dual-jets appeared until '79 or so. They do not mount the same.
2gc_identification.JPG

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Restirring up an old thread, I actually found one of my dad's old Q-Jets, un molested just full of varnish and spiders. It was off of a 76 olds 350 from an olds wagon. He had the engine in his Grand Prix when I was a fetus and he said it ran great. So, imma try that. After a rebuild of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor