1978 Lemans Rear wagon window seals and fender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiessen1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2014
Lethbidge, AB, Canada
I'm looking for some help finding new window seals for the rear windows just before the hatch. I have surface rust under those windows and the seals look pretty done on the outside. Anyone have any advice for removing these and cleaning it up? Also looking for rear drivers side panel for behind the rear wheel as that quarter panel is rusted out. Thanks in advance.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I assume you're talking about the quarter windows. Those pieces of glass is held in by urethane caulk. You'll first have to cut the glass out before doing any rust repair or welding in those areas. First order of business is to remove the outside trim around the glass.
I'm sure the seals are brittle and the glass is probably pulling away...which will help with easier removal.
Using a combination of utility knife and a sharpened putty knife, you can start cutting the seal from the inside of the car.
There is a tool available for that task as well. You can find them on this site. http://aegistools.com/

As for a patch panel for the rear lower quarter, you'll either have to cut one out of a donor/parts car, or fab a piece using 20 ga. sheetmetal. No one really makes one...however, you might be able to modify one from an El Camino.

Welcome aboard! You might also want to tell us about your ride and your plans for it.

Reactions: 1 user

Thiessen1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2014
Lethbidge, AB, Canada
Perfect that is definitely helpful. I just bought a 1978 Pontiac Le Mans Safari with the factory 350 in it and factory AC. It runs like a top, body is in fairly decent condition. My plans for it are to rebuild what I can, I am unsure if i want it to be just a rat rod, or if I want to fully restore it. Everything in it works great. First order of business will be dual exhaust, then a stereo install, and probably tinting of all the rear windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor