1978 Malibu header recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gprimm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2008
Bolingbrook, IL
I am getting to the end of rebuilding my son's 1978 Malibu Classic Wagon. Before buying Ceramic Coated headers, I wanted to ask those who have done it before to the G-body, what header manufacturer to you recommend.

I see at Summit Racing that the Hooker headers are $369, plus the cost of the 3" collectors. We are leaning that way, but want to make sure before ordering.

Which headers fit best with minimal interference with the frame and other components.

Opinions based on experience, please.

George Primm

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I highly recommend flowtech headers. I bought a set of used ones for my 80' malibu classic coupe and they fit quite well. Little bit of a tight fit next to the steering box but they cleared pretty well. The problem with hooker headers is they're way too pricey and I've heard from chevy, mopar, and ford guys that they simply just don't fit the way they should. It's simply not worth the money. My dad and I just got finished about a year ago with mine and I've just been doing minor TLC. The only trouble you may run into is the passenger side where the A/C and heater components are located. But the flowtechs are still much easier than most other brands. One of my buddies has a monte carlo ss and tried hooker headers and they just would not fit down between the engine block and frame. In the end, he took a hammer and dented the new headers to get them to fit. So now he has pinched pipes. Here are the flowtechs i'm talking about:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Picture119.jpg

Picture121.jpg

gprimm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2008
Bolingbrook, IL
No clearance problems on the Dynomax? Looking at the picture on the Summit site looks like the passenger side has one pipe that goes low. The car will be 1 inch lower then stock.

George
Bolingbrook,IL.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
My malibu is sitting nearly 1.5- 2 inches lower than stock and still have plenty of clearance with the flowtechs. The flowtech company seems like they have their fitments right on the money for any stock or aftermarket set up your running on g bodies.

Hippi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2009
ILL
actually the pass. hangs even with the trans pan and close to it,but the drivers side is tucked way close to the floor pan,it makes the crossmember clearance interesting.they did fit better than the hookers but yet again I'm not running stock upper control arms and thats where i've seen most people have to ding the primary tube to clear the rear upper bushings,I had to grind some of the flange around the upper control arm at the bushing to clear the flowtech tri-y's.But if the other guys are saying flowtechs and it sounds like no one had a clearance issue go for it man

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
ive ran flowtechs on a few of my malibus, they fit great and they are CHEAP! the front pass. tube runs really close to the control arm bushings. when the motor torques over it bumps it but i just let it clearance itself. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor