1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu' started by Wraith, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Wraith

Wraith G-Body Guru

Thought I'd start a thread as I'm not chronicling this build anywhere else. This is my fourth Malibu and "should" be the best as long as I don't sell it like the others.

The last one I built was in 03' and was a 1980 267 car that left my hands with a ZZ4/th350 and nearly everything touched and tweaked. This was the day I sold it.
    [​IMG]

Fast forward several years and more than a several cars I decided to pick up another G body after building a Volvo 242 that was destined for a 5.3/4L60 swap and chickening out as it was too clean to chop up.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

I have a weird thing for boxy cars. :D

So I set out to find another Malibu which proved to be easier said than done and after looking at several overpriced, no title, and abused Malibus I had friends tell me about a 1978 Malibu that was sitting in the middle of nowhere that could be had for $750 if I didn't want the engine and trans.

With these two pictures I said sold, despite a rule against buying primer cars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then went to pick it up wondering if I had lost my mind, luckily it looked solid all over, not beat or chopped even though it was a "race" car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I drug it back home and stripped it down to see what I had gotten into. Do not use a grinder to sand down hood, it was junk along with the bent trunk and the worst part was the dash and a rusted passenger floor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wraith

Wraith G-Body Guru

Next came the fun of taking the entire car apart and cleaning it up, I may have slight OCD when it comes to this.
    [​IMG]
    Dash did not make it out alive
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure they drag raced this on dirt roads
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the separation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cleaning begins using wire brushes and a 4" grinder with a wire brush cup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And por15 plus paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Wraith

Wraith G-Body Guru

Further strippage of the body in preparation for body and paint
    [​IMG]

A few new parts. Speedway motors boxed rear arms with spherical bushings for the top, poly for all the others.
    [​IMG]

All new stainless brake lines and braided stainless soft lines
    [​IMG]

Parts not shot is all new Moog front suspension goodies, Global West delrin bushings, Grand Nat fuel tank and Racetronix walbro with sending unit, plus much more.

4. Wraith

Wraith G-Body Guru

That leaves me here, starting mock up for a 2003 5.3/4L60E with a pared down wiring harness extended to put the computer in the car, plus a smoothed truck intake.

[​IMG]

I see a lot of swaps done with the truck, CTSV, or MAST pans but one thing they are lacking is appreciable baffling for the oil pickup, I went with the Autokraft pan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't find my pic of the baffles but they look like this
    [​IMG]

For good or bad I decided to fab my own mounts so the body goes back on and this is where it sits now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kwik_Cutty88

Kwik_Cutty88 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Silver

looks good so far man, good luck with it. Can i ask what the wheel/tire combo was on the first Malibu?

6. Kansas Bu Wagon

Kansas Bu Wagon G-Body Guru

Subscribed!

7. N3M3S1S

N3M3S1S Apprentice

Love it! Can't wait to see more.

8. Wraith

Wraith G-Body Guru

Wheel Vintiques 17" chrome rallyes, 8's with 245/45 and 9's with 275/45 and short caps.

9. Wraith

Wraith G-Body Guru

You'd probably like this if there was a build thread, my dad's daily for the last seven years. Just a 290hp crate engine, big sway bars, 3.73 Monte SS posi, and a few other goodies.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wraith

Wraith G-Body Guru

Next up, try to fit my exhaust manifold collection before ordering headers. I have the stock truck manifolds along with a pair of 2010 Camaro manifolds I picked up but with matched pairs they don't work, mis-matched, maybe.
    Camaro driver's side
    [​IMG]

Truck passenger side
    [​IMG]

Should work okay, really don't want to pop for headers as I plan to go turbo down the road.

More parts came in too! Bel-Tech drop spindles, new rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, ARP 3" studs, and UB Machine A-arms for taller C10 upper ball joints.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also dropped off parts at the sandblaster's plus all the stock hardware at the plater's.