1978 Malibu Rear Wheel and Tire combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearheaddrew

Apprentice
Oct 29, 2019
Bay City MI
This is a highly debated issue and I have done multiple searches but have yet to find a concrete answer.

Looking at a set of wheels for my 78, the seller says they are 18x8. I have found the wheel brand based of a few ID features from his pictures and they appear to have 4.5" BS.

Front rubber is 235/40/18 rear is 275/35/18.

The rear tire width is concerning to me as it is about 10.8, my car is lowered with 1" hotchkis springs, front is the blazer brake setup, new poly body mounts. I found where Streetbu had to notch and roll in order to clear the same size tire.

Question is, anyone know for sure if they will clear without mod? Seller said he bolted to his buddies GN and had 1" clearance but all gbodies are not the same especially early ones (a-body) like I have.

Attachments

• IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3460.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This is a highly debated issue and I have done multiple searches but have yet to find a concrete answer.

Looking at a set of wheels for my 78, the seller says they are 18x8. I have found the wheel brand based of a few ID features from his pictures and they appear to have 4.5" BS.

Front rubber is 235/40/18 rear is 275/35/18.

The rear tire width is concerning to me as it is about 10.8, my car is lowered with 1" hotchkis springs, front is the blazer brake setup, new poly body mounts. I found where Streetbu had to notch and roll in order to clear the same size tire.

Question is, anyone know for sure if they will clear without mod? Seller said he bolted to his buddies GN and had 1" clearance but all gbodies are not the same especially early ones (a-body) like I have.
Streetbu notched his rails & is also running wider wheels @ 9.5" for those 275's.

Reading your initial statement, are all 4 wheels you're intending to buy 18x8? If so, no way I'd run a 275/38 on an 8" wide wheel (9" width minimum). Width difference requirements change as the sidewalls get shorter when using larger diameter wheels. While people might put 275/60-15's on a 15x8, a 275/35 combo won't be 18x8" wheel friendly (9-10" recommended; 9.5" typical).

Also.... Never believe a 'sellers' "it will fit" statement w/o verifying it yourself as well & confirming where/how they verified. Like you stated, not all g-body's are the same.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
275 is too wide for an 8" rim for sure. I'm running that same size tire 9n my 78 Malibu but with a 9.5" and it's perfect. My wheels are 5.25" backspacing though and I notched my frame to the seam. You MAY be able to get away 5" back spacing and my tire and wheel combo without a notch, but you'll be VERY close to the frame.

Part of the issue is that just because it fits one car, doesn't mean it will fit the same model and year of another car. The build quality on these cars was horribly inconsistent at best. Add in that most of our cars need body bushings and people don't even realize it and that doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor