CUTLASS 1979 260ci dualjet hard starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

79CutSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2009
Coos Bay, Oregon
It takes me 3 to 4 times to get the engine to continue to run after starting. It starts okay but the RPMS quickly drop off and chugs to a stop. Pump the gas pedal a couple of times and try again. About the 3rd or 4th time it slowly picks up RPM and fast idles okay. Once warmed up this old thing runs great ! There is one thing that it does that bugs me, but that's for next time.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Is the choke set properly? It could also be the carb draining back or emptying through the well plugs.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Take the air cleaner off when the engine is cold. Have someone who can start the car start it. Immediately you should see the choke plate should pop open just a bit, about 1/8" or so. There's a vacuum pod on the passenger front of the carb that is the primary choke pulloff. See if this thing is pulling in so it can slightly open the choke when the engine starts. If it is, it's something else. But most of the time it's that. Once the choke starts to warm up, the coil relaxes and it allows the choke to start opening up. This may be why after a few starts the coil is starting to warm a bit and relax. When the engine starts, the pulloff should be pulled in and stays in as long as vacuum is present.

You can also check to see if the vacuum pulloff is working even without the engine running. Just pull the rubber vacuum line off from the carb side and apply a vacuum to it and it should pull in. If it doesn't and you hear leakage, it's toast and you'll need another one.

I do not know if this is your problem since there's so little to go on and it's hard to troubleshoot over the web. What's keying me in to this as the potential issue is once it's warmed up, it runs like a top.

If it does turn out to be the vacuum pulloff, the part you will need, assuming your carb is a 17059150 (260 V8 w/2bbc, with A/C), is GM p/n 17060649. Standard part number is CPA-182, which you can get from Rockauto.com for example, or many other places that sell Standard Motor Products parts.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...164,fuel+&+air,carburetor+choke+pull+off,6000

Reactions: 2 users

79CutSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2009
Coos Bay, Oregon
Take the air cleaner off when the engine is cold. Have someone who can start the car start it. Immediately you should see the choke plate should pop open just a bit, about 1/8" or so. There's a vacuum pod on the passenger front of the carb that is the primary choke pulloff. See if this thing is pulling in so it can slightly open the choke when the engine starts. If it is, it's something else. But most of the time it's that. Once the choke starts to warm up, the coil relaxes and it allows the choke to start opening up. This may be why after a few starts the coil is starting to warm a bit and relax. When the engine starts, the pulloff should be pulled in and stays in as long as vacuum is present.

You can also check to see if the vacuum pulloff is working even without the engine running. Just pull the rubber vacuum line off from the carb side and apply a vacuum to it and it should pull in. If it doesn't and you hear leakage, it's toast and you'll need another one.

I do not know if this is your problem since there's so little to go on and it's hard to troubleshoot over the web. What's keying me in to this as the potential issue is once it's warmed up, it runs like a top.

If it does turn out to be the vacuum pulloff, the part you will need, assuming your carb is a 17059150 (260 V8 w/2bbc, with A/C), is GM p/n 17060649. Standard part number is CPA-182, which you can get from Rockauto.com for example, or many other places that sell Standard Motor Products parts.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...164,fuel+&+air,carburetor+choke+pull+off,6000
Okay! That's a lot. Four of the vehicles I have are carbureted. The EDELBROCK on the F-100 is simple compared to the M2MC or the Rochester VariJet II Carburetor Model E2SE on my 84 Camaro. I get one day a week to work on various things. So it may be a couple weeks before I can look into this issue. I'll print your comments and put them in the manual I have. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor