1979 Olds Cutlass Calais questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
There are 2 mounting holes in the plastic piece the clock bolts into. The optimum way to get at those 2 holes is the entire vinyl surround needs to be removed in able to see and get to these holes. That does involve a bit more work due to the LH bezel needing to be removed which in turn the knob for the headlights needs to be removed. I've seen it done where the part of this surround that covers the 2 holes to fit the clock in is cut away so access to the clock is easier and alot less work.

Some 79's have the wiring already in there for the clock, some don't. I went through the effort to install an (analog) clock in my 79 Calais which never had a clock in it. I had the entire factory dealer installed clock package wherein it was equipped with the jumper wire which I used. It was years later when I accidentally found a plug for the clock was already in there and could have been used. For my black 79 Brougham, I installed a correct (rolling drum) digital clock and again, this car had no clock. However, this time I thoroughly checked to see if there already a plug in there ready to go. Not in this car.

Quick question dg, you placed in LED bulbs, do they dim when you dim the other dash lights or do they stay the same intensity no matter what setting the dash lights are on? Thx

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
There is a button on the bottom of the headlight switch chrome color push it up light switch and rod pull out.

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
1643660547592.png

looks like this spring loaded

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
There are 2 mounting holes in the plastic piece the clock bolts into. The optimum way to get at those 2 holes is the entire vinyl surround needs to be removed in able to see and get to these holes. That does involve a bit more work due to the LH bezel needing to be removed which in turn the knob for the headlights needs to be removed. I've seen it done where the part of this surround that covers the 2 holes to fit the clock in is cut away so access to the clock is easier and alot less work.

Some 79's have the wiring already in there for the clock, some don't. I went through the effort to install an (analog) clock in my 79 Calais which never had a clock in it. I had the entire factory dealer installed clock package wherein it was equipped with the jumper wire which I used. It was years later when I accidentally found a plug for the clock was already in there and could have been used. For my black 79 Brougham, I installed a correct (rolling drum) digital clock and again, this car had no clock. However, this time I thoroughly checked to see if there already a plug in there ready to go. Not in this car.

Quick question dg, you placed in LED bulbs, do they dim when you dim the other dash lights or do they stay the same intensity no matter what setting the dash lights are on? Thx
I did the cut away method, as I did not want to pull the dash inset piece off.

Re: the dimmer function, I will have to check that this evening, I didn't try it. My dash lights are so dim that I can't see the gauges when I pull the car in the garage, but I am going with a Dakota Digital analog gauge set when we do the swap, so I haven't tried to fix the dash lights.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
LL, I'm going to check mine on that light switch, that would be GREAT if I can get it out that way instead, thanks!

dg, looking forward to seeing your car later this year, when I'm there I'm not far from Augusta, GA.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
There is a button on the bottom of the headlight switch chrome color push it up light switch and rod pull out.
View attachment 191373
looks like this spring loaded
No, no, no.
While true on the vast majority of gm vehicles, this is not how you remove the headlight sw knob on a 79 cutlass.
The knob has a notch with a spring clip in it.
20220131_172345.jpg
Locate said notch, pull knob out (turn lights on).
20220131_171637.jpg
20220131_171647.jpg
20220131_171803.jpg
Using a right angle pick, hook and pull the back side of the spring clip towards you while pulling on knob. Knob will slide off.
To remove the wood trim panel, use the same pick. Carefully slide it between the edge of the panel and dash pad or cluster and carefully pull till panel starts to release. Change locations as needed to remove panel. On this cutlass i have best luck with lower edge and pulling from the wiper switch hole.
20220131_171838.jpg 20220131_171853.jpg 20220131_171944.jpg
This is how i remove all the wood trim on cutlasses.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I checked the dimmer function with the LED bulbs - it works like normal, just brighter, whiter light when turned up. I used the Sylvania 194 LED bulbs.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Olds Joe nailed it on the removal, for some reason I was confusing how it's done on our 69 Camaro.

dg, thx for the tip on the bulbs, I am going to be re-doing my entire gauge pod (again) and use LED's. I'm not too fond of how much brighter they are but if they can be dimmed, that works. At the Olds Nationals last year I scored a gauge pod wherein the green plastic piece the printed circuit board & bulbs are attached to is miraculously not burned, especially that one hole up in the corner by the tach that always melts so badly you can't get the bulb socket out. LED's won't heat up and melt this piece.

I can hardly wait for the day these light green pieces are reproduced.

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
As I've posted about before, my first car in 1984 was a 79 Calais w T-tops, and earlier this year I bought another with the intention of making it what I always wanted the original to be. While I'm waiting my turn for parts and my mechanic's time, I'm just curious if any of the knowledgeable historians here know something I don't. The vast majority of 79 Cutlasses I have ever seen had the side stripes, however BOTH of my Calais cars did not. My first one was brown and had a camel 1/2 vinyl top and side moldings, but no stripes. My latest is dark carmine metallic, and has neither a vinyl top or side moldings, and no stripes. Were stripes and molding std, and "stripe delete" and "molding delete" chosen on my current car, or were stripes and molding options in 1979 that apparently 99% of all Cutlasses came with?

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
They are stuck on side stripes and peel most owners took them off when they started to peel off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor