1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

Status
Not open for further replies.
DRIVEN said:
Danny, your car looks beautiful! I had the same hubcaps on my '79 when I got it too. Don't see them often. You made the right decision with the wheels though. It give your car a classy hot rod attitude. A lot of people will talk sh*t about running a 260. The way I look at it, as long as it runs okay - no problem. At least if you want to upgrade it'll be way easier to drop in a 350 or 403. The cars that came with 305s are a little more work to make into a proper Olds. Post up some under-hood "before shots" and keep up the good work.

cuttyrubskins, Threadjack = poor form. If your car is for sale there is a section for that. You'll get a lot more exposure there.

Appreciate the kind words! I've got some under the hood pictures that I am getting ready to post now. Nowhere near perfect, but that's the fun in it! 😀

Update: Some under the hood photos.

We put on replacement chrome valve covers and a new Edelbrock air cleaner. Took ALL DAY. Olds 260 V8's are not easy to access. The next step will be rehosing and rewiring the whole engine bay, because right now it is a factory MESS. :x

One chrome valve cover on.

6347972002_64618b1257_z.jpg

So much work to do...

6347973370_eb78660824_z.jpg

Going to invest in an Edelbrock soon

6347224489_b149265a23_z.jpg

Mr. Gasket 6400 air cleaner adapter for the Edelbrock air cleaner

6347973886_426304af4e_z.jpg

Fits like a glove.

6347225985_388b013b45_z.jpg

Both chrome valve covers and Edelbrock air cleaner on. Now for a bit of cleanup...

6347977352_0a6543cee2_z.jpg

Not bad.

6347229443_f95586d291_z.jpg

And this is only the beginning... :twisted:

I don't think I'd spend the time/money on a carb upgrade. If the stocker runs bad - rebuild it. They aren't very complicated. It's basically the front half of a Quadrajet. If it runs OK - leave it. You won't get any performance gain and your MPG will only go down with an Edelbrock swap. The 260 was designed to be a small, smooth running economy engine. They typically do better than a V6 for MPG. Almost anyone on this forum will advise you not to spend a dime looking for performance increases in a 260 or 307. Save your money and look for a 350 or 403. It's essentially a direct bolt in swap.

DRIVEN said:
I don't think I'd spend the time/money on a carb upgrade. If the stocker runs bad - rebuild it. They aren't very complicated. It's basically the front half of a Quadrajet. If it runs OK - leave it. You won't get any performance gain and your MPG will only go down with an Edelbrock swap. The 260 was designed to be a small, smooth running economy engine. They typically do better than a V6 for MPG. Almost anyone on this forum will advise you not to spend a dime looking for performance increases in a 260 or 307. Save your money and look for a 350 or 403. It's essentially a direct bolt in swap.

I see. Well in that case, I'll just use the 260 as long as it will last. It's running like a top. And yeah if an Edelbrock would cause worse MPG, there is no point. Thanks for the tip! :mrgreen:

I'm loving the color, and I've never seen a 260 look that good under the hood. I pulled mine and went LT1. Also made up some custom door panels. You should def swap out that old 260 for a olds/Chevy 350. Its a completely different car with power behind it. The LT1 was a bolt in motor, and you get the wow factor.

Attachments

• IMAG0620.jpg
    IMAG0620.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,264
thedoctorisin said:
I'm loving the color, and I've never seen a 260 look that good under the hood. I pulled mine and went LT1. Also made up some custom door panels. You should def swap out that old 260 for a olds/Chevy 350. Its a completely different car with power behind it. The LT1 was a bolt in motor, and you get the wow factor.

Well after seeing that picture you posted I just might have to do that. The 260 is purring like a kitten though. 101, 000 miles. Gets up and goes without dying in seconds from a cold start. Even in 33 degree weather, which I found out today. :mrgreen:

Another update guys...

It's been a while since I've posted on here. A few things have happened.

I lost my job.
I've been out of work for months.

And I had to sell the Cutlass. 😢

But the good news is it did not go cheap. I stood my ground and got a worthy amount.

I will miss her. The new owner will take good care of her. He promised me he would. And he loved the Trans Am wheels LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor