BUILD THREAD 1980 Cutlass Supreme LS build

Gravesmachine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2024
Ingleside, IL
My name is Rick and I own a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that I will be restoring. This is the first G body I will be building and I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been a bodyman and mid tier mechanic for about 20 years off and on and currently work at a restoration shop part time doing the aforementioned along with a lot of welding and fabrication. Even though I’ve worked in the field I’ve never fallen in love with or built my own car, but I saw this Cutlass rotting away in our storage yard and I knew she was the one. I’ve trailered her to my house and cleaned the hell out of her. I ordered the Fischer body manual for 1980 and will begin the full dismantle during this cold northern IL winter after I’m done with motorcycle building and customer jobs.

I posted this info in the new members section but figured it would be good to start a build thread for future posts. I picked up a Gen 3 5.3L and 4L60e transmission that I have on the bench for rebuild in my garage. Even though I know the engine and transmission were plucked from a running vehicle by my buddy I will do my due diligence and rebuild both.

Thank you for the community and prior information on this site, it has helped immensely already.

These were the first 2 pics I took of her after pulling her out from between a boat and camper she had sat next to for a few years. My good buddies mom actually went to prom in her back in 1990 as her brother had owned it since new, I dug up everything I could about her history.
IMG_4637.jpeg
IMG_4638.jpeg

Hi Rick! No doubt it will be a nice cruiser when done with the 5.3L/4L60e.

Can you take some pictures of the quarter windows up close? I wonder if I can replace the heavy potmetal trim pieces and blown out seals on my '78 cutlass supreme with whatever hardtop parts you got going on there...

Reactions: Gravesmachine
Hi Rick! No doubt it will be a nice cruiser when done with the 5.3L/4L60e.

Can you take some pictures of the quarter windows up close? I wonder if I can replace the heavy potmetal trim pieces and blown out seals on my '78 cutlass supreme with whatever hardtop parts you got going on there...
Not a problem buddy, hope these help
IMG_7720.jpeg
IMG_7721.jpeg
IMG_7722.jpeg
IMG_7723.jpeg
IMG_7724.jpeg

Reactions: doood
Thanks. I didn't realize there was another trim option on these cars (other than what I got).

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor