1980 Lemans Safari headers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1980LeMansSafari

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2010
Coquitlam, British Columbia.
I'm in the middle of building a 350 Chevrolet to replace my reliable but lack luster 265 Pontiac, I've been looking at making a dual exhaust for it. I've got everything pretty much figured out, cheap magnaflow cats, Summit turbo mufflers, all 2.5" from the headers back to the tips. The one issue I've come across is headers.
I've been looking at these 2 guys: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68640/ and http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68600/. Both say that they won't fit cars with 825 Saginaw steering boxes, is that what my car has? Because of the proximity of steering shaft will I have to modify the headers?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
This is the first time I've ever heard of headers not clearing the steering box. However, these are shorty's with the ball socket collectors. Maybe look into a set of Dynamax headers. They would be long tube headers though. I've never heard about fitment issues with these. Perhaps even the Hedman long tube headers might fit differently.
I've used Blackjack headers for years and they fit great with no interference issues.
Look into a set of coated Dynamax headers.

Other than that, it sounds like a nice system you have in mind.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
malibuSSwagon said:
I was looking at shorty headers as well, worried about clearance issues with my clutch linkage. What other headers have you guys used with success?
=========================================================================================================
I didn't even think about headers to clear the clutch linkage/crossbar set up. I'm sure some of the standard shift guys will chime in as far as what brands they use.
I could see where the shorty's would come in to play concerning clearance.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Just a heads up- I ran Summit turbo's and hated them. Too raspy and irritating. DynoMax Super turbo's are way more civilized. Unless your goal is to be noisy, then, nevermind.

1980LeMansSafari

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2010
Coquitlam, British Columbia.
I'm mostly thinking about my budget when I was looking at those mufflers. I'd like the exhaust to have character and not just a monotone drone, if I have to spend a little more on so be it. Any suggestions are happily welcomed.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I remember when I first put the engine in and had the exhaust system done. I also had a pair of turbo mufflers put on. I forgot what brand they were. But they were a popular brand at the time...just can't think of it right now. But I too hated the drone that they created, so I had them replaced with a pair of stock type Walker mufflers. They were much quieter and more enjoyable to cruise with.
Needless to say, my new turbo mufflers ended up in the trash.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I too used dual walkers behind my 400 in the Malibu. Can enyone explain why a single muffler that quiets 8 cylinders to a hush, makes a nice rumble like a GTO when used in a dual application? I expected super quiet. Jack, how did your's sound?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
I too used dual walkers behind my 400 in the Malibu. Can enyone explain why a single muffler that quiets 8 cylinders to a hush, makes a nice rumble like a GTO when used in a dual application? I expected super quiet. Jack, how did your's sound?
=========================================================================================================
Mark,
Do you mean the Walker replacements? They were quieter, naturally. But still had a slight throaty sound. They sound throatier today due to the internal baffling breaking down. But sound good. They don't drone, and yet still sound better than glasspacks or cheap turbo mufflers.
I'm sure a pair of Dynaflows would sound nice. Maybe alittle louder.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, yeah, the standard 8 cylinder crossways mounted muffler for a single exhaust set up. 22070 I think it was. I used 2 of them and they were louder, not very, but still louder. I just put one of those I saved, the 8 cylinder single muffler, back on and it is so quiet I have to look at the tach to make sure the motor is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor