** 1980 mALIBU 2 DOOR lsX PROJECT **

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
bapekidon4s said:
thanks alot guys yeah id rather get what i really want and be broke than go with the poor mans lsx when i have the chance to get what ive always wanted in my mali
sounds like you made your choice, sweet! and i hadnt read all of the responses till now. that being said a lq9 is hardly the
"poor mans lsx". where i could have and can afford to buy a brand new ls2 (while nt a smart choice at this time, just saying that I have the means and capability to buy it, among other things), I would take the used low mileage lq9 (along with the other recommendations i posted) over a used low mileage ls2 anyday. Especially with the addition of nitrous or forced induction... stock short block to short block, i trust that lq9 (or even better an l92) much more than i trust that ls2 and my opinion is based on personal experience and research.

so the fact that most of the time, you can get an lq9 for a more reasonable rate than the ls2 makes it a nice option, not a poor mans choice. that being said good luck with your project... sounds like its going to be nice.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I'm helping a friend put a small block in his pick up truck.
I was going to build him one but he didn't want to wait for me to do it in my spare time.
Anyway, we looked all over and found some remans for about $3900. Problem is, you never know what you're getting.
I told him we should go to GMPP website and look there.

We found a very nice 350 for $5,700. I know it sounds a little pricey but you were thinking about buying a used motor for $5,000.

Take a look at the link below. Look at all the pages. Everything is included, carb, distributor, wires plugs, pan, intake, pretty much everything you need.

Nice thing is, there is room to grow in this motor. If you put a .030 (comperessed) head gasket and go up on the cam a little you can easily get in the 350 hp and 400 tq range.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Engin ... &engCat=sb

bonez305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2012
Miami, FL
Max Headroom said:
I'm helping a friend put a small block in his pick up truck.
I was going to build him one but he didn't want to wait for me to do it in my spare time.
Anyway, we looked all over and found some remans for about $3900. Problem is, you never know what you're getting.
I told him we should go to GMPP website and look there.

We found a very nice 350 for $5,700. I know it sounds a little pricey but you were thinking about buying a used motor for $5,000.

Take a look at the link below. Look at all the pages. Everything is included, carb, distributor, wires plugs, pan, intake, pretty much everything you need.

Nice thing is, there is room to grow in this motor. If you put a .030 (comperessed) head gasket and go up on the cam a little you can easily get in the 350 hp and 400 tq range.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Engin ... &engCat=sb[/quote] Does not compared to a Used "LS" Motor at all

bapekidon4s

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2010
san jose
Ended up going the Ls2 route it was worth the long drive picked it up for 4.8k came with harness, computer, electronic gas pedal and pretty much everything that I needed. Has a truck oil pan so I'm either getting a F-body or cts-v oil pan heard both of those will clear easy. Still waiting on the rest of my Hotchkis parts to come in to Goodies speed shop I'm anxious. Also ordered engine mounts, exhaust headers, couple other small things the harness is a major issue right now don't know if I should get it redone and computer flashed reprogrammed or just get a Painless harness. Did some body stuff this weekend the Malibu was, a Landau cut off that metal piece off and slapped on the regular Malibu small side glass looks way better. Next I'm smoothing out and cleaning my engine bay getting it prepped to drop the ls2 in I want my firewall smoother than stone colds head. Still deciding on the t56 or a auto trans I just can't make my mind up. I'll post pics when I'm on my comp. Any ideas help or know somebody who does harness work? Hopefully the Mali is done soon so I can finally drive it and maybe be at hot august nights in it this year! 8) :mrgreen:

bapekidon4s

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2010
san jose
79malibubbctt said:
What are your seats out of. Those look awesome.

That's in my BMW but I actually have a set of black leather c5 zo6 corvette front seats and a Malibu black leather backseat it's a close match

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
The only difference between an LS2 and an LQ9 would be the GM cam specs, which you probably will put a different cam in, the intake manifold, and the heads. You could find a set of 243's or 799's to get the LS2 compression all day on the LS1 forum for pretty cheap.

That is a pretty good price though for everything from the donor car. Was it from a TBSS?

bapekidon4s

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2010
san jose
79loserbluebu said:
The only difference between an LS2 and an LQ9 would be the GM cam specs, which you probably will put a different cam in, the intake manifold, and the heads. You could find a set of 243's or 799's to get the LS2 compression all day on the LS1 forum for pretty cheap.

That is a pretty good price though for everything from the donor car. Was it from a TBSS?

No it was off a 06 corvette, and I thought truck engines are iron blocks might be wrong idk I like the vette accessory set up and aluminum block however, and now when I cam it and do everything else the numbers will be higher instead of trying to make up the 400hp stock numbers with that lq9 don't get me wrong lq9s are good and affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor