1981 Cutlass Supreme A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburston88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2021
Good afternoon
I have a 1981 cutlass with a sbc 350. I’m wanting to try to get my original a/c back running. I currently have the v-belt setup but plan on this weekend installing a s-10 serpentine setup. I’ve been looking at certain condensers on rock auto that should fit my application but they’re all out of stock. Does anyone know where I can find the newer parallel condenser with the fittings on the passenger side? This will just be step one of my a/c revamp! I also have to figure out why my air doesn’t blow through the vents. I just remember the last time I had the a/c running, air was only coming from the floor. I appreciate anyone who can provide me with some info.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Can help with the second question, this happened to me, I was only getting air in the defrost & floors on my MC. Your issue might be the HVAC Control Vacuum Control Valve. To get too it you have to remove your climate controls unit and it will be a round thing with a cluster of vacuum lines plugged into it. Basically, this unit is two round piece & one half is able to rotate as you change the setting on A/C lever, i.e., from defrost to vents. What happens is the seal between the 2 round pieces wears over time & because of it there is not enough vacuum to lift the flap/door in the center of the dash to redirect the air to the top vents. If none of this makes sense, look up HVAC control vacuum control valve on YouTube. I remember seeing video's on how to rebuild them yourself which seemed simple enough. I believe this part is discontinued by GM but you can still find NOS ones on eBay, I however went to the junk yard & looked at all the GM trucks/cars with the same style climate control and found one on an old 80's GM Van that worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor