1981 grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesch_1999

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2010
I have never put a big block in a g body, so any help as to what would keep my car from overheating would be helpful, I have tried electric fans and did not work went up to 210, I am currently using a flex fan works fine as long as your moving, at idle it heats up I did not install the heater core lines, would it help if i did? Any help from those of you who have installed big blocks would be great.

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,679
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,868

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
what electric fans did you go with? I went with the dual Intrepid fans and they pull like no other... and thats on low speed.. :wink:

zombieking

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2012
Halfmoon Bay B.C.
Saweeeet! Nice ride my friend! I can't help with your cooling, but sure like your car, and that engine is very nice!

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
As long as your heater core is not leaking it would in fact help some. More coolant and another small radiator. But all it would do by itself is buy you more time at idle. One problem is the Flex fan & shroud. Flex fans are not the best especially at idle as they can't pull or suck the heat out. Either a good 7 blade clutch fan or a quality electric puller is better. I used 2 13.5" electrics to cool my 509 mounted diagonal with a good shroud. The shroud is important as it has to have good "suck" to pull the heat out of the radiator fins and no fan can do that without a proper blade to shroud fit. Ford windstar minivan fans with the rear AC or the the Lincoln Mark 8 fans are also outstanding. Electrics can't be cheap weak aftermarket supporting fans they have to be HD 30 amp fuse or more designed and used to be the main fan. BTW they move/pull more heat mounted as a puller. Last as an extra if you will, how clean the metal surfaces are in your cooling system greatly affects how well they transfer heat. RMI-25 is an excellent cleaner, lubricant, PH balance restorer, liquid that is not snake oil and you may want to use and benefit from. http://www.rmi25.com That said hook up your heater core and get a proper fan & shroud.

Hey put some pictures and info on that bad boy in your photo album.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
I have a Ramjet 502 in my cutlass. I use a summit aluminum radiator with duel electric fans. My cars runs between 200 and 205. If you have crate engine it came with a 195 degree thermostat. Definitely hook your heater core as mentioned before it will help with cooling.

joesch_1999

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for all your help will be heading to the junk yard this weekend for some ford fan products, I will get some pics right now and explain a little more car started out as a diesel 301 lol, now it has a ford nine inch rear with 410 gears, 400 turbo trans, all wheel disks, 502 crate supposed to be 502 horse but I had some porting done on the aluminum heads, line locks, ratchet shifter, aluminum drive shaft, 3500 stall converter, msd 7al2 , anodized red 850 demon carb 50's on the back, skinney's on the front car will run 11.5 129 all day long in the quarter, I wanted it to be dependable and fast so the crate motor was perfect, zz502

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i just picked up one at my local salvage yard 2 weeks ago for 40 bucks... :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor