1981 monte carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2011
Need help here! I am swapping 95 350 into 81 monte carlo. I tried using the serpentine system from 95 but it won't clear the steering box so that's done. I did research and i think the best option to convert is maybe 88 s10 . Will it clear the steering box? Will it clear the stock hood? So do I not want the compressor from the 88 s10? Please don't tell me to look up other posts because I have read ever thread out there and they jump around so much it makes my head spin! Hoping someone has done specifically what I am doing. I don't want to pull parts from junkyard and find I have the same problems I have now! Thanks for any help

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
What kind of vehicle did the serpentine system on your 350 come from? Just curious. I used the serpentine system from an '88 Firebird with the TBI 305 on my '84 Monte Carlo, and it worked fine. The power steering pulley is a bit closer to the steering box with this serpentine setup than it was with the old V belt setup, but nothing to worry about. I'm surprised that you had difficulty with your search here. In most of the posts, the information is usually pretty clear and straightforward. Keep in mind that the position of the alternator and the A/C compressor (if you have A/C) will be reversed. Good luck.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
hmmmm? 'wont clear the steering box"???? thats a first :shock: are you sure you have the brackets on the correct sides(ds/ps)and are they facing the right direction??? ALL ive ever ran is serp set-up's,rather it be from the chevy 1500's or the systems from 87-91 camaro's and caprices and have NEVER ran into problems involving the steering box??? only issues that need to be adressed are the different "tensioners" as the placement differs from truck and car(this is only needed when you are running a tpi,for clearance issues,or if you want to pretty it up with a "grand national" one piece metal aftermarket top rad hose)try and post some pics of troubled area.heres one of my old set-ups on my 87 elco(before i got LS obsessed!!!)

and here is a 88 camaro set-up that i prefer.you can NOT mix parts,pulleys etc,it does no work.instead of a smog pump delete i often "hollow" mine out

Attachments

• downsize (4).jpg
    downsize (4).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 679
  • Photo-0448.jpg
    Photo-0448.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 677
  • Photo-0449.jpg
    Photo-0449.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 685
  • Photo-0450.jpg
    Photo-0450.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 710

rookie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2011
It came from a full sized van. In all my reading there was a few guys that said they had the same problem with the steering box. With the 95 ac bracket it sits about 15 to 16 inches above frame rail. It looks like the hood will be about 16 or seventeen from frame. If this works you can see the parts I have and the orientation they would be on my 350. This would be based on where the bolt mounting holes are placed on my heads.

Attachments

• 20131118_131044.jpg
    20131118_131044.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 665

rookie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2011
I'm sorry I meant the alternator sits at that height! I don't know the final height of ac, but assume it would be about the same.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
yeah ive never seen that set-up bfore??? funky :shock: the camaro,aprice,1500 pick-ups,and s10 set-ups place the ac on the driver side,while the ac/delete is on the pass side.sorry i not knowledgeble on the set-up you have pictured? id just pick up a set-up from one of thevehicles ive listed above,if obtainable from your local jy?

rookie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2011
Yes, that is why I said I was done with that one from the 95, it was free and sitting here. I went and did find some that look like they will work from the 88 s10 and maybe a blazer I found. Didn't find any, are they f body cars. If it's from a car does it sit lower than if from a truck? After seeing how my 95 fit it worried me to take one off and pay only to find the same problem. It looked like to me that the best and most likely swaps would be with ac on passenger and alternator on drivers side!

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
the trucks sit the same height wise,no worries.the smaller 4.3 s10/blazer,and FULLsize blazer(87-91) will work also.like i mentioned before though,get EVERYTHING from the SAME DONOR as these systems will NOT interchage.

rookie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2011
It looks like your pulleys are different in the bolt pattern? On the ac bracket what is the lower c shaped opening for? I noticed all the brackets I saw at jy looked like that. Is the 92 -94 s10 different? My brother has a 94 that I have not seen, but he said it looks like it would work.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
C SHAPED section is for the smog pump,which you can buy a delete or do like i do and "hollow" it out(break internal "veins" so its just the bearing inide,and the pulley outside)the pulleys are all from the same system.92-92 s10 will work as long as its the 4.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor