1981 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ 5.7 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
I just purchased a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with the 5.7 diesel engine dx block. While she was first a florida car she has been in storage in worcester mass for about 10 years. Though I felt she would be in amazing condition I bought her sight unseen other than a photo. She has some rust under neath a bad floor pan and had to replace every brake line and fuel line. She is very restorable and runs and purrs like a kitten with just 85k original miles. I was excited as I partnered with the owner who was extremely nice and helpful and had her shipped to beautiful North Carolina. She arrived in just 4 days and was a kodak moment as the carrier had 9 cars on it. Porsche, mercedes, Hummer, Bmw, Lexus and right on the bottom backed in, there she was, stood out like a sore thumb The 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ two-toned cream and white with a pristine original vinyl top. One small dent on the hood, headliner hanging down Just Beautiful! Named her Belle. She will remain with me till the end! Look Forward to being a GBodyForum Member as I am also a Member on E46Fanactics, Love BMW's as well! So hello from NC. Also recently found out I am about 10 miles from a place called GBodyparts.Com amazing owner nice to talk to and has just about anything a true Gbody person needs. Check em out!

Attachments

• belle.JPG
    belle.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7,254
Nice GP! I never seen a diesel version before... What are your plans for it?

I am keeping the diesel. It is one of the better diesel engines the DX model build with improvements after the 79 and 80's models failed miserably. Only reason I bought it. You will not find many even in exsistance. The car needs plenty of work. I am gonna give her a chance. Restore her to perfect condidtion. Already replaced all fuel lines and brake lines as it was alot of rust underneath mainly surface rust. Gonna sandblast the frame and do best I can without alot of money in it.

there was one yr wanna say either 82 or 84 that the 5.7 oil burner or 3.8 v6 were the only enigine options

I really wanted a Brougham edition with the V-8 unmolested! Like a 1987! I saw this car listed and saw it had been in storage for 10 years and I though heck yeah! Its really working me hard though. The fuel lines rusted and ruptured then she was something else to get started again after replacing the lines. And replaced almost every brake line and today the last one back drivers ruptured. I got a little over 2K in her right now. And its hard to know which way to go. It only has 85k documented original miles. Myself and the original owner did not want it to go to the yard! So he let me have it for cheap! I have always owned a gbody car every year from 1980-1988. mostly the cutlass supreme but really lost interest when they introduced the new style in 1988 and ended the classic in 1988. Its really a good thing my good friend is a mechanic! FREE LABOR!

Well have not posted anything in a while, so here she is all painted, new pinstripe, waiting on molding, Interior has been professionally cleaned turned out perfect. Diesel Engine still running terrific. Few things still to do but she is definately a keeper. I am excited on how the mini restore has gone. Painted all interior panels, brand new headliner. Even the cruise control works!
BELLELJ1981 said:
I just purchased a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with the 5.7 diesel engine dx block. While she was first a florida car she has been in storage in worcester mass for about 10 years. Though I felt she would be in amazing condition I bought her sight unseen other than a photo. She has some rust under neath a bad floor pan and had to replace every brake line and fuel line. She is very restorable and runs and purrs like a kitten with just 85k original miles. I was excited as I partnered with the owner who was extremely nice and helpful and had her shipped to beautiful North Carolina. She arrived in just 4 days and was a kodak moment as the carrier had 9 cars on it. Porsche, mercedes, Hummer, Bmw, Lexus and right on the bottom backed in, there she was, stood out like a sore thumb The 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ two-toned cream and white with a pristine original vinyl top. One small dent on the hood, headliner hanging down Just Beautiful! Named her Belle. She will remain with me till the end! Look Forward to being a GBodyForum Member as I am also a Member on E46Fanactics, Love BMW's as well! So hello from NC. Also recently found out I am about 10 miles from a place called GBodyparts.Com amazing owner nice to talk to and has just about anything a true Gbody person needs. Check em out!

Attachments

• gp.jpg
    gp.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7,288
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor