1983 Hurst Olds 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2008
Elkton, Maryland 21921
I found a 83 Hurst 442 with the lighting rod shifter. I think that is what they are called. Body has several dents and a crease in one of the fenders. 110K miles with normal paint fade etc.. Still has the spoiler on the rear. Int is average. The guy is asking $2900 OBO. I have done a web search on these cars and the price is from one xtreme to the other. What should be a fair price and what should I look for in these cars?? I have several G bodys and intend to check the normal rust locations but have not owned an Olds.

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
Authentication:

The VIN "9" engine code shows it is a 442.
'83 H/O carb is 17083553.
Look for option code W-40 (H/O) and W-42 (442) on the build sheet or the service sticker (in trunk lid).
Sometimes (and I say this because they DIDN'T always put them on) there is a little cowl tag on or under the hood. This will also have the W-42 option listed on it. The Arlington assembly plant said that if they had them when the car was built, they put them on, but if not, oh well. That's because they were wanting to go strictly with the trunk lid mounted service sticker.
It better have the dual snorkel intake with a chrome lid.
Also, check the transmission code "OZ"on the passenger side of the transmission.
This item is indigenous ONLY to the 1983 to 1987 Hurst/442. Look for a "kickdown" switch above the gas pedal. This looks like the old Turbo 400 passing gear detent switch with a little slide switch activated at full throttle. This is actually the full throttle A/C compressor clutch cutout switch. It cuts out the A/C clutch when it's mashed to the floor.
Also, check to see if the tire pressure sticker is still on the driver's door, it will list 215/65/15 as the tire size, again, ONLY on the Hurst/442 in those years.
Engine Specs:
Rocket 307

Transmissions:4 speed auto

Rear Axles:7.5" rear

Performance Data:
No data.

15th Anniversary model, Lightning Rod Shifter introduced. 3000 or 3001 were built. Color available was black with silver.

[ Thanks to Mike Rothe, Bob Barry for this information ]

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If it's in decent shape, and has the H/O specific items still with it (spoilers/Lightning Rods/emblems/dual snorkel breather/wheels/etc.) then that could be a fair asking price.

Furtrader said:
...Look for a "kickdown" switch above the gas pedal. This looks like the old Turbo 400 passing gear detent switch with a little slide switch activated at full throttle. This is actually the full throttle A/C compressor clutch cutout switch. It cuts out the A/C clutch when it's mashed to the floor.

Can someone with an H/O or 442 verify this? I would have thought it operated off of the TPS feedback on the CCC Q-jet like (I understood that) all other CCC cars did?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
85_SS said:
Furtrader said:
...Look for a "kickdown" switch above the gas pedal. This looks like the old Turbo 400 passing gear detent switch with a little slide switch activated at full throttle. This is actually the full throttle A/C compressor clutch cutout switch. It cuts out the A/C clutch when it's mashed to the floor.

Can someone with an H/O or 442 verify this? I would have thought it operated off of the TPS feedback on the CCC Q-jet like (I understood that) all other CCC cars did?

Actually, the switch on the pedal was used for all 307s through the mid-80s. In about 85 or 86 Olds started using the TPS sensor and the computer to operate the compressor clutch relay on VIN Y cars but retained the accelerator switch on VIN 9 cars. Also, V6 cars came with the switch on the accelerator.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Interesting, I wonder why Olds was different in this regard? - thanks for the info! I suppose this would have been a direct fit in my Monte as opposed to retrofitting the T/A switch :)

husky100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2008
Elkton, Maryland 21921
I spoke with the owner and his reply was he was very negotiable. I guess I really need to give this car a good second look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor