1984 Buick Regal Limited 5.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justa6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2008
Hamburg, Pa
Ouch....the rust :( How's the trunk floor and the wheel houses look? Floors, rear frame, doors? I hope all better then that 1/4. :shock:

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Its hard to say really. It was only my second ever car purchase and I didn't look at all of the right areas for a car this old.

The trunk floor is ok but you can see through it in one of the corners for the spare tire well.

The rear frame will need some work eventually but its not as bad as the 1/4. The other side of the car only has a small amount of surface rust.

The doors had me fooled for a while. They actually have some rust at the bottoms under the plastic chrome panels.

Every single electrical device and switch works except for the horn. Slow power windows, trunk all that stuff.

Oh yea, the floor in front of the passenger seat is always wet or moist. The brackets on the seats that connect to the floor seem to gather these wet bubbles of water stuff too...

The interior is in very good shape with all of the trim in place. The only defect is the hanging ceiling.

I'm pretty sure that with my plans for this car it'll cost about 2000-5000 to get everything looking and working right.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
From the water on the passenger side floor, you either have a leaking heater core or a bad weather seal somewhere. Hope it's a bad seal.

Justa6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2008
Hamburg, Pa
A bad seal around the windshield will do it also. Also, the sealant around the heater box dries out, cracks, and then leaks. I'd rip up the carpet and check out the floor underneath.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I think that I'd rather have a leaking heater core then a mystery leak in some seal...

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
outsider_27 said:
From the water on the passenger side floor, you either have a leaking heater core or a bad weather seal somewhere. Hope it's a bad seal.

My Regal leak on that side too...turned out it was leaking around the heater box( were it seals against the firewall)

ponchoman49

Apprentice
May 27, 2009
NY
Your lucky to have had the 305 LG4 engine as an option on regular Regal models. US 1984 Regals could only be had with the 3.8 231 V6, 4.1 252 V6 or diesel 4.3 V6 unless you bought a GN or T-Type whic of course came with the 3.8 231 SFI turbo motor. A 305 4BBL would have been a good mid range engine choice above the sluggish 3.8 base engine without having to buy the turbo models.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Week of June 21st:

-Seats, carpet and headliner removed

-Found the source of water leak on passenger side - rusted A pillar

Now I'm going to try and recover the headliner and prepare the floor pans for some fiberglass patches

Passenger Side pan with one small hole
PIC_0020.jpg

Driver's side pan with plenty of holes
PIC_0019.jpg

Headliner after scrapping the bulk of the deteriorating foam
PIC_0003-3.jpg

Headliner after washing with Pine sol and dish detergent - drying in sun
PIC_0009-1.jpg

My doors, and dash
PIC_0011-1.jpg

PIC_0016.jpg

PIC_0013-1.jpg

Driver's side of the car (I don't know how only one side of the car can rust so much more than the other.) This side of the car is nice on the outside but the rear frame rail looks like it's exploded!

PIC_0022.jpg

PIC_0024.jpg

PIC_0028.jpg

Dirty engine bay - i'll try getting to this next week

PIC_0030.jpg

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
I'm currently getting my car ready for certification and my latest problem is the parking brake.

My parking brake is jammed and doesn't seem too rusted. The cable underneath the car is very rusty though. I was able to reach under the car and pull it and now the cable has some give to it but the pedal still doesn't move.

Does anyone have some tips on removing the pedal assembly? I've taken out the 3 or 4 bolts that connect it to the car, but i don't know how to take the cable off of the pedal without cutting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor