1984 Hurst with sunroof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The figure is not known and if anyone tells you one they're full of sh*t.
Judy Badgley of H/OCA might be able to figure out this information based on the RPO data from GM but it takes time to go through 3500 data sets.
The only figure that is known is on the Canadian Export side since there were very little imported and the GM Heritage Center of Canada has counted them all and will provide you the figure when you make the request for information on your car.
There were 15 sunroof cars EXPORTED to Canada out of 226 '84 W40's.
If you extrapolate based on 3500 approximately 232 minus the 15 stayed in the states, so 217...
Given most H/O's were T-top cars (due to being highly optioned) I would place the order of rarest to most common being Sunroof, Hardtop and then T-top.
Sunroof option was more expensive than the T-top option so they're rare regardless of what the car is...

More production figures with sources of backup:
http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
I 'think' I remember when I was watching power block tv a few years ago they showed an 84 H/O and the commentator said their were 125 made with the factory sunroof. I'm not exactly sure but I think that's what they said.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The figure was 215, the guy failed to mention the fact that his was a Canadian Export model but later revieled that info in an online discussion after receiving lots of pushback from people.
I believe everything I hear on TV and the internet... :?

Lot's of misnomers going around, it's one thing to approximate and another to state.

Same goes with White 85 442's and Sand Gray interior '83 H/O's, those figures DO NOT EXIST.
One can only approximate... so let's have some fun.

White is not a popular muscle car color, also the previous year H/O's were black and gray so Dealers already knew what was popular and sold.
One can assume that the order of common colors would be Black, Gray and White at a 45/40/15, 50/35/15 or 45/35/20 ratio or 1350-1500 Black, 1050-1200 Gray, 450-600 produced in white.

You could go even further with White 85's and interior combinations.
IMO White Maroon is the most common followed by Gray then Blue but that's from my observations and I'm somewhat partial to the Blue being more rare since I've never seen one as a hardtop ever but I've heard some say Gray T-top ones were more rare from observations.
If you think about it GM usually produced 1/3 of the 442's with T-tops since some of those figures are known.
The Maroon ones I commonly see in a hardtop and t-top.
I've personally only seen 4 White 85's in my life with a gray interior, 3 in person and one being parted on eBay, 2 were hardtops and 2 were t-top cars.
Every White '85 with a Blue interior I've seen has T-tops and I've seen quite a few, I've never seen a Blue hardtop ever.
So even if you divide up the interior ratio as 300/200/100 for Maroon/Gray/Blue and factor in that no Blue Hardtops exist and assume 1/3 came with T-tops I would order them as Blue hardtop (if they even exist), Gray with T-tops (67 cars), Blue with T-tops (100 cars), Maroon T-top (100 cars), Gray Hardtop (133 cars) and lastly Maroon hardtop (200 cars).

Same goes with the '83 H/O, how many regular Cutlasses in 82-83 do you ever see with a Sand Gray interior?
Pretty dam rare...
If you follow the same train of thought you could assume that 450, 600 or even 800 came with a Sand Gray interior, from what I've seen those interiors were more common in H/O's that regular Cutlasses.
Again, no one knows these exact figures so I don't want anyone throwing these numbers around as SOLID information, just approximation.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
88hurstolds said:
The figure was 215, the guy failed to mention the fact that his was a Canadian Export model but later revieled that info in an online discussion after receiving lots of pushback from people.
I believe everything I hear on TV and the internet... :?

Lot's of misnomers going around, it's one thing to approximate and another to state.

Same goes with White 85 442's and Sand Gray interior '83 H/O's, those figures DO NOT EXIST.
One can only approximate... so let's have some fun.

White is not a popular muscle car color, also the previous year H/O's were black and gray so Dealers already knew what was popular and sold.
One can assume that the order of common colors would be Black, Gray and White at a 45/40/15, 50/35/15 or 45/35/20 ratio or 1350-1500 Black, 1050-1200 Gray, 450-600 produced in white.

You could go even further with White 85's and interior combinations.
IMO White Maroon is the most common followed by Gray then Blue but that's from my observations and I'm somewhat partial to the Blue being more rare since I've never seen one as a hardtop ever but I've heard some say Gray T-top ones were more rare from observations.
If you think about it GM usually produced 1/3 of the 442's with T-tops since some of those figures are known.
The Maroon ones I commonly see in a hardtop and t-top.
I've personally only seen 4 White 85's in my life with a gray interior, 3 in person and one being parted on eBay, 2 were hardtops and 2 were t-top cars.
Every White '85 with a Blue interior I've seen has T-tops and I've seen quite a few, I've never seen a Blue hardtop ever.
So even if you divide up the interior ratio as 300/200/100 for Maroon/Gray/Blue and factor in that no Blue Hardtops exist and assume 1/3 came with T-tops I would order them as Blue hardtop (if they even exist), Gray with T-tops (67 cars), Blue with T-tops (100 cars), Maroon T-top (100 cars), Gray Hardtop (133 cars) and lastly Maroon hardtop (200 cars).

Same goes with the '83 H/O, how many regular Cutlasses in 82-83 do you ever see with a Sand Gray interior?
Pretty dam rare...
If you follow the same train of thought you could assume that 450, 600 or even 800 came with a Sand Gray interior, from what I've seen those interiors were more common in H/O's that regular Cutlasses.
Again, no one knows these exact figures so I don't want anyone throwing these numbers around as SOLID information, just approximation.
Uh...... Was just stating what I saw. Not that serious.

But as far as the blue hardtop goes...., again I 'think' I saw one on Oldspower years ago. I remember saving the pic but I'd have to dig thru my external hard drive to see. I could be wrong tho, gonna go a delete some stuff off of it anyways so if I come across it I'll post the pic.

Nov 4, 2012
There is a pretty nice 87 with moon roof for sale in mt pleasant Pennsylvania, about an hour south east of Pittsburgh. It needs a brake line and doors, (new doors come with it). It is black and gold with maroon interior. $4500. NOT my car, but I saw this as I was browsing craigslist.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/3392411973.html

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
First 85 442 I ever test drove was the first one the dealer got in and the first one I'd ever seen in person. It was white hardtop, blue interior, no power anything, and if it had any options, they were sparse. Because of that, I wasn't really that interested. I think it was in late November of 84. He had two 84 H/O's on the lot as "leftovers", one with Tees, one without. I was really leaning for the T-top 84 and backed away at the last second. I ended up ordering a loaded black 85 442 with claret interior.

As far as finding out which number your 84 is, you can email Judy with your VIN and she could tell you. I have #19. Kinda funny little story, Helen Earley sent me a "confirmation" letter years ago saying it was #21. But Judy rechecked and found out she had transposed the last two numbers in my VIN and it was actually verified to be #19. That's why I decided to take a bit more care and time in my resto efforts. Have only seen one other "earlier" 84 H/O since.

Keep in mind that the number doesn't mean a whole lot. For example, the last 84 H/O ever made, #3500, was NOT the highest VIN 84 H/O. C&C just numbered them as they rolled through the facility and it was probably just for accounting/billing purposes if I were to guess. GM didn't have anything to do with the sequential numbering. They did the same thing pretty much with the 69s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor