1986 cutlass salon

Steve S

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2022
how to disconnect 1986 Oldsmobile cutlass bulkhead wiring hornist?
I have removed the windshield wiper motor assembly to get access to the wiring harness.
I have an electrical short on the power wire going into the plug through the bulkhead (fire wall) to the fuse box.
I bought the car new. It has the original wiring. the plugs are somewhat fragile and don't want to crack or break the plugs.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Wish I could help but hopefully someone else comes along with the correct answer. I haven't played with fuse box wiring for quite some time and wouldn't mind learning something.

Steve S

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks for your reply. Still trouble shooting. When I find the problem, I will post it here.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas

Steve S

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks, Great information.
Hey Everyone,
I finally found the short. I replaced the starter switch and the turn signal switch. (AC Delco parts)
I am 99% sure it was the starter switch. But it could have been the turn signal switch.
FYI when I was replacing the starter switch on the steering collum the sleeve that goes around the collum just above the switch rotated slightly, just enough to keep the key switch fully moving the actuator rod. After taking more of the collum apart, I realized that I could rotate the sleeve counterclockwise. There is a clearance made into the sleeve that the actuator rod has to pass in to get full movement of the actuator rod. If I had of realized this, it would have saved me a lot of time and acervation.
Thanks to all that replies to this difficult problem I experienced.
One more thing, when I plugged the turn signal switch the keeper clipped in place. I thought it was connected. WRONG. The stop turn signals lights did not work. I finally pressed the plug harder. That fixed the problem.
Again, Thanks to all.
Steve S

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor