1986 cutlass supreme problems

cutlass1

n00b
Dec 1, 2023
hey y'all I just got my first g body bought as a daily driver/ project car
windshield wipers don't work. and the turn signal lever won't come out, every video I see about changing them on a g body they just pull them right out. any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas?
also heat doesn't work what's the first thing to look at ?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Turn signal lever doesn't have much to do with the wipers turning on/off per se. I mean that although twisting it turns the shaft, the shaft is inside the actual switch inside the column that turns on the wipers. The wiring runs down the inside of the column to a junction that connects to the wiper motor wiring, etc.

Something's wrong if you couldn't pull out the wand from the switch hole. It has to pull STRAIGHT out or bad things can happen. Everything it sits in is plastic. Pulling it at an angle almost always results in a broken switch or switch hole at minimum.

Do you have RPO CD4? (you can find this on the trunklid SPID sticker) Meaning pulse wipers (delay)? It makes a difference. The wand doesn't care. The only thing it worries about is what's stamped on the barrel itself. In other words, the wand has nothing to do with the delay action. Again, it's all in the switch.

You likely have tilt wheel also if you have delay wipers.

If your troubleshooting leads you to a bad switch-

GM no longer sells them (7843683) (tilt with delay wipers). You'll find it on Rockauto.com under brand and p/n: Standard DS-817. They run around 100 bucks-ish. Doesn't matter if it's console shift or column shift. PITA to change out, but hey, it is what it is.

If you DON'T have delay wipers, but have a tilt wheel, you will need switch number 7843684.

If you DON'T have delay wipers and DON'T have a tilt wheel, you will need switch number 7842714.

For the wand-

If you have cruise and delay wipers, you would need the wand GM 25031456 or aftermarket equivalent.

If you HAVE cruise and NO delay wipers, you would need the wand GM 25031457 or aftermarket equivalent.

If you have NO cruise and NO delay wipers, you would need the wand GM 22510143 or aftermarket equivalent.

If you have NO cruise but you HAVE delay wipers, you would need the wand GM 23510144 or aftermarket equivalent.

Which now leads to the motor itself.

The motor is usually pretty stout and hardly ever fails. They do, but it's not a common occurence. What is common is if you DO have CD4 (delay) is the motor cover that has a circuit board in it that DOES fail. This is usually the case in a delay failure.

When this happens, GOOD LUCK! The circuit board/cover assemblies (GM part number 22039684) are virtually UNOBTANIUM. But, IMO, I think there's likely a diode, or resistor, or some little piece of crap that is an EASY fix that could restore the operation of these wipers on the cheap. Now, am I right? Who knows? It seems nobody has taken the time to troubleshoot any of these circuit boards. Those who can and can fix them, can write their own ticket if they even bothered.

Non-Delay motors have a cover under GM part number 22039683. They don't have a circuit board.

22072790 is the motor. There's no difference in the Delay or non-delay motors. However, to use the delay feature, (besides the CD4 cover) the motors will need contactor GM p/n 22054236.

Heater don't work? I'm too lazy to worry about that right now. Got a feeling it's your heater cable to your blend door having an issue, or your blend door mechanism is busted. OR....did you check your vacuum to the heater cutoff valve (gray vacuum line)?

Blend door rod pivot- GM p/n 3037629 or aftermarket equivalent.
Blend door rod clip- GM p/n 1224062 or aftermarket equivalent.

WHEW!!!!!

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor