1987 Regal 3.8 Air Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Hello, I have a 1987 Buick Regal Limited 3.8 2BBL OHV no turbo. My car has recently developed a noise coming from the air pump assembly. It is a high pitch whistle and it goes up in volume and pitch as my RPMs go up. Making it very very very irritating for me and anyone else on the highway (only a 3-speed auto) to hear "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" as we all go on our way.

I love my Regal and I drive my classic more than any other classic car owner. It has VERY low miles for its age so it is in very nice condition (in, out, and under the car). I would normally imagine a perfectly working car because it was an elderly woman's grocery-getter that was driven about 5-miles daily while she owned it (I am currently the 4th owner).

It is fully optioned and has all the bells and "whistles" (haha).

If anyone could give me their 2-cents on what my problem is, does it affect my engine, and how to fix it that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• air pump2.png
    air pump2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 759
  • airpump1.png
    airpump1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 684
Re: 1897 Regal 3.8 Air Pump

Just a guess but the AIR pumps are known for seizing up when the bearings go bad. Take the belt off and turn the pulley by hand and see if it makes any noise.

Re: 1897 Regal 3.8 Air Pump

I did try that. I spun the pulley it felt fine. I came back to my computer and did a little more research and then I tried running my car without the air-pump belt on. My car runs perfectly now with no noises.

I am VERY VERY happy now. I almost forgot what my exhaust sounded like (holes in the muffler so it snorts 😀).

Thank you to anyone who spent some of their time trying to help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor