1987 Regal 3.8 V6 Auto to T5 Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turboeddan

n00b
Sep 8, 2007
Cartersville, GA
I used the search feature and only got hits for the V-8 swap. I have read about doing this conversion, but I want to keep my V-6. I also have a 8.5 3.73 rear from a 85 442 just in case the 2.41 rear gear doesn't work well with the T-5's 2.95 1st gear.

Here is the question, after looking at the 1987 V-6 block, I do not see where the Z-bar ball stud screws into the drivers side of the block? I have a 1970 Buick 455 sitting under my bench and its got the stud hole, so did GM not drill out all the holes since there where no 3/4 speed cars after 1981 or is it different on a V-6? Any help would be great.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
It's not that there were no manual transmission cars, they just didn't all use mechanical linkage anymore. I recommend junkyard hunting and using a hydraulic setup from an f-body (Camaro/Firebird)

That goes hand in hand with the T5 conversion. You need an old style B-O-P bellhousing but the mounting for the T5 is different than the old style transmissions. You have two options.

1. You can take your old school bellhousing (you can get them for less than a hundred bucks on eBay) and your T5 transmission to the machine shop. They can bore out the center hole to the T5 bearing retainer size and drill and tap the bolts in the face to the proper size/depth. I have done this already and have not had any problem with weakness. It worked fine in a Buick Skyhawk that I had. That one also did not have the ball stud hole and it ran a cable clutch.

2. Buy a Mcleod bellhousing that is universal for B-O-P or chevy bolt pattern and also is drilled for T5 along with old style transmission patterns as well. There is an adapter collar for this included. Part no. 8650 from PAW.

You need a pilot bearing for the back of your crankshaft- sometimes this is a problem. Sometimes the crank is not properly machined to accept the pilot bearing. Check with some calipers to make sure. If you're not machined, you'll have to pull the crank to get this done.

Get a roller bearing pilot bearing and don't forget you need a flywheel, too!!

Good luck!!

Turboeddan

n00b
Sep 8, 2007
Cartersville, GA
I have a new Hays Flywheel on order and a bellhousing coming in next week. I am not sure it will work yet until I pull the transmission. I am going to pull the engine at the same time to clean it up, change the rear seal, install the pilot bearing, etc...

The bellhousing is from a 1982 V-8 F body. It has both the Chevy, B,O,P bolt patterns I saw this on another website. The transmission is not tilted 17 degrees, it sits normal and uses mechnical linkage. I will just mock up everything before I pull the engine to confirm the Z-bar ball stud location on the block. I also have the 455 to measure since it has the same trans bolt pattern. I may still go with hydro clutch setup in the end. Thanks for your input.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Another possibility may be the T-5 off a 3800 V6 4th gen Camaro/Firebird. I think it has a smaller input shaft and different splines than the V8 trans. A neighbor just gave me a V6 T-5 and it has a smaller input shaft, but I am unsure of it's origins as it may also have come off a 60 degree 2.8-3.4 V6 instead of the 90 degree 3800.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
The 4th gen T5 V6 transmission is the larger 1 1/8" 26 spline like the V8 third gen, I think it runs a different gear ratio set...

The 82 F-body didn't have a T5 option, only the Saginaw or Super T-10, depending on the options. You may still have to modify it to allow a T5 to bolt up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor