1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

88cutclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2022
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hey guys, picked up my first cutlass a couple days ago. 307, column shifter, 74,000~ original kms.
It's a project but has lots of potential. Story goes; old man owned and garage kept since new, sold to teenager who didn't add oil and blew the rear main, then sold to man who wanted to do motor swap but never did, and eventually sold to me who intends to restore it (possible 350 sbo in the future).

The 307 needs the rear main seal replaced cause it's pissing, ie; not road worthy. It needs a list other things too, including:
-CEL flash code 41 addressed
-passenger window switch or motor,
-e-brake cabled replaced,
-instrument cluster bulbs replaced (or fuse?)
-instrument cluster panel replaced or repainted (rust on it)
-hi-blower relay (high setting not working)
-reverse light bulbs or switch

and the locking system is too weak to unlock or lock doors (actuators maybe?). She also needs the matte black exterior cabin trim pieces resprayed and the bottom of the doors sanded/resprayed. Plus some burgundy front floor mats, and some upholster rejuvenation.
I've already used this forum and it's been helpful, so thank you!
You all will be hearing from me lots along the way.
Forgive me for novice questions; I'm not a mechanic and I just switched over from old school euro.
Screenshot_20220923-081228.png

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Upgrade to a neoprene rear main seal. The Ford 292 and the AMC 252 6 cylinder rear main with the eats cut off, also fits. The old rope seal can be a PIA to remove. Had a 88 CSC myself, good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Looks like you have a good car to start with. All our Gbodys have those little things to contend with. And as for the engine replacement or rebuild, most of us upgrade that anyway. These cars weren't really known for having any substantial horsepower under the hoods with the exception of a few models.
We're here to help you make that car yours.

Reactions: 1 user

88cutclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2022
Victoria, BC, Canada
Thank you!
You got that right, these old cars come with old car problems, but well worth it! Definitely not powerhouses, but a nice cushy rides nonetheless. I gave her a solid wash, wax, and vac which lead me to getting ahead of myself and ordering several emblems; for the header, front panel, trunk, and tail lights. Figured I'd get the easy things out of the way first.
Cheers and thanks for reply.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Noice! A great starting point to what, apparently, is a great project.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor