1988 monte carlo 4.3 efi problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkyard junky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2016
Have an 88 monte with the 4.3. Original engine went down and the owner installed a 4.3 out of an astro van (92 maybe). Went to start the car today and it had trouble staying running. Finally idles on its own. When turned off, and tried to start again, its hard to start. Once it gets going, black soot comes from the tail pipe. Wondering if anyone else had a problem like this? Trying to figure out what to do. Thanks!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Is there a functioning service engine lamp on the car? Have you scanned for codes?

Could be any of a multitude of fuel/emissions system faults, checking for codes is where to start

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
time for the spyder injector?

Time for proper diagnosis rather than just throwing parts at it?

Why not use the diagnostic tools GM spent all that money on to develop and install in the car? Costs nothing and at least points you in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 user

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
∆∆∆ true,just added my "suspicion diagnosis" as I have had 3 of these 92-94 cpi 4.3 engines(and currently have another on the stand) and from what the "symptoms" the OP is experiencing,are the same ones I was having with mine and replacing the spider injector on one fixed it on 2 of them I had and the 3rd I got lucky and it was only the poppets I had to replace.just giving the OP something to go on and start the "process of elimination" ;)

junkyard junky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2016
I have a scan tool that was given to me years ago when a friend passed away. Used it on the car today and I got " No data at alcl connector." The engine in the car is from an astro van. Not sure if the intake and injection system is from the astro or the original. Fuel injection was rebuilt by a previous owner.

When I bought the car, it ran fine. Parked it in a shed for a couple of weeks. Started up fie when I moved it to another building, then when I started it this week it wouldn't hardly idle for a while. Shut the car off and try to start it back, its a chore. Coughs, spits and lopes.

Check engine light is on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor