MONTE CARLO 1988 Monte Carlo SS - Emissions Clamp - Air Manifold Hose

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Looks like there was originally a clamp on this air hose. Can't seem to find it in my parts book. Anyone know what clamp went here....and where I could find a replacement? Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_4270.JPG
    100_4270.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unfortunately, the original style 1-eared crimp clamps are/were not stocked by GMSPO for over the counter use- EVER. They said to use a worm/screw hose clamp on them. Even in the parts book like that. The pinch clamps were used by the factory because of faster assembly speed. Nothing else. Sure, a worm clamp would work, but pinch pinch pinch and you were done in seconds assembling the trash on the engines.

The correct size 1-ear clamp you need is 1", or what they refer to as a 256 clamp. Original is galvanized steel, but you can get them in stainless.

You'll need a pincher type of pliers to crimp it right, however.

Not sure how many your car has in total, but I would imagine it's the same amount as an Olds, which is 8.

I believe they were originally supplied by Dixon-Keystone, but now ALL the later ones have the newer, dimpled ear for strength improvement.

I can send you a couple of old school galvanized ones if you like. Made by Oetiker, considered the Cadillac of pinch clamps.

IMG_0175.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oetiker sells them in two versions, the 10500015 (galvanized steel) and the Stainless Steel versions, 15500015.

Galvanized ones are a tad harder to find. But the stainless ones look good and will continue to look good over time.

I'm redoing all the high temperature A.I.R. hoses with NOS ones, so I've had to go through that merry go round myself. You can get by with heater hoses for A.I.R. hoses, but the originals were designed for the heat effects should a check valve disc fail and burp hot exhaust back through the A.I.R. system. They're heat resistant, but heater hoses aren't and will bubble and burn through faster should a check valve fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Thanks for the info....another little project to play with.

Where were the pinch clamps located on the Olds.....guessing there was one on each of the AIR hoses?

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Looking at the marks on the hose presumably made by the clamp...wondering if the style was like the one in the picture attached.

Attachments

• 7743cc4d-2f7e-4469-9fdb-3875ab6cf841.jpg
    7743cc4d-2f7e-4469-9fdb-3875ab6cf841.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 8

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sorta. They didn't use the fancy, stepless clamps when they built your car. They used the plain old cheap single band style like I posted earlier. You could use them if you wish, though.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
But yeah, on closer inspection, they look like SOMEONE used a stepless style based on those dimples. Although it would be so unlikely it came from the factory I'd bet my lunch money that if it were, it was put there by someone else. There were 8 used on Oldsmobile 307s. 2 per hose. Well, that's IF they remembered to put them on. There's a couple on the 87 that's never had a clamp on them. On the 85 I found a spare right in the middle of the hose that goes to the cat converter. It was just slid on and doing nothing. Quality control was not a priority during the builds, apparently. Nobody can convince me otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
I have black plastic clips on the other ends of the AIR Hoses......pretty sure those are original.

Following upstream a little further there is a crimp clamp....looks like a single band style but on the side looks like what may have caused the dimples.

Yuck....pictures are little embarrassing.....got some detailing to do.

Attachments

• 100_4276.JPG
    100_4276.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 100_4277.JPG
    100_4277.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interesting layout. Hmph. Those are stepless and they do appear to be factory.

Luckily, they got a butt ton of those in different sizes. When you buy them, go by the nominal OD size of the hose. There will be a range that each clamp fits.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor