1988 olds cutlass whining noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
With a socket, yes. I use the open end of a 15mm wrench from up top once the lower adjuster is left slightly loose.

Reactions: 1 user

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
With a socket, yes. I use the open end of a 15mm wrench from up top once the lower adjuster is left slightly loose.
Got ya that’s what I figured I had to do all that when I changed the water pump but I had to remove the one that’s underneath the damn car

HOAdrian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2015
Gainesville, FL
I had a problem with the water pump pulley squealing on my 67 Olds. It had a smog-era California 403. The inner-most groove on the crank pulley was slightly smaller diameter than the others (presumably for the now gone air pump). The two belts running over the water pump pulley were running at slightly different speeds. That WP pulley will ring like a bell and amplify any belt slippage. Typically Olds engines, one belt on the WP drives the alternator and the other the PS pump. The WP pulley has the lowest fraction of its circumference in contact with the belts so it's most prone to slip and squeal.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

angel84elco

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2014
I had a problem with the water pump pulley squealing on my 67 Olds. It had a smog-era California 403. The inner-most groove on the crank pulley was slightly smaller diameter than the others (presumably for the now gone air pump). The two belts running over the water pump pulley were running at slightly different speeds. That WP pulley will ring like a bell and amplify any belt slippage. Typically Olds engines, one belt on the WP drives the alternator and the other the PS pump. The WP pulley has the lowest fraction of its circumference in contact with the belts so it's most prone to slip and squeal.
Thanks for the info! I found the squeak lol actually ended up being A.C. belt wasnt tight enough

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor