200r4 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I've had my car for awhile now and I was reading up on the overdrive trannys and it said something about having a 12 volt source for the converter to lock up and I'm pretty sure mine doesn't, I don't think it's even plugged in cuz it doesn't have the computer anymore , do I need this hooked up, it runs good so what does this actully do, what wires do I need to have a 12 volt to

Thanks that stuff is easy enuf to do. Can't I just make it myself and use a toggle switch cause on the site it shows where to plug it in on the transmission and what wire to plug in? And what are some signs that the converter isn't locking up. Just bad gas mileage mostly?

Google your trans you to determine which pin you need send the 12v to and engage the lockup. Until you have a lockup on a switch you probably won't notice not having it.

Like the instructions found on most sites I ran an ignition based power wire ( with a fuse ) from the Power Centre in the footwell, picked up a 12v - ( ground ) from the bolt that holds the gas pedal down along the way and ran those 2 wires to the toggle switch ( mine is mounted inside the breadbox on the console, my friend mounted his next to the rear defog switch, choice is really yours ).

From the switch I run the "switched 12v" power line and ground to the proper pins in the plug on trans.

I used the ground wire just to be sure that the Lockup switch in the trans gets both + & - but really it is only required to illuminate my $1.99 switch. This way it's a visual cue to me that the switch is on and it shows that the switch is getting power ( again not required but I prefer it this way ).

So with the switch engaged on the highway the engine lugs a bit and the RPMs drop 200-300. I really notice using mine the most for cruising speed along a country road ( 80 kph or 50 mph ). That speed is just above my 1800rpms stall so it locks it down for a more enjoyable cruise without the motor revving too high.

The only benefit of the lock up is about 300 rpm's you will save and a lil less heat.........You really don't need it.Since it's already not working I would suggest though that you buy a heavy duty transmission cooler, install it...Have a beer and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor