2019 Challenger Widebooty HellKitty (she's giving me the meatsweats...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
12 minutes of blower whine.

The Hellcat catches a widebody Redeye around the 7 minute mark.

that was nice to watch, he drove the Hellcat deeper into the corners than the Redeye but it would have been nice to see a braking bar. He was carrying alot of fuel and he would have been quicker without it. The coolant temp is controlled really well in the Hellcat..... :)

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I didn't get to go to the track this weekend so I made a Beta run on building an intercooler water sprayer

It will work but I wouldn't advise it. You have enough traction problems and it's not worth wrecking your car over let alone the guy following you at the track.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It will work but I wouldn't advise it. You have enough traction problems and it's not worth wrecking your car over let alone the guy following you at the track.

wouldn't you get DQ'd if you're leaking any fluids? In circle track we had a couple of these filled with water and pressurized with air to spray into the rad soon as the car came off the track

250px-Old_fire_extinguisher.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What about spraying something like rubbing alcohol that evaporates faster?

I've considered a 50/50 mix - I do however have some reservations about the risk of flammability from the vapor.

that was nice to watch, he drove the Hellcat deeper into the corners than the Redeye but it would have been nice to see a braking bar. He was carrying alot of fuel and he would have been quicker without it. The coolant temp is controlled really well in the Hellcat..... :)

But, Hellcats don't handle... and didn't he run down a Vette too?

While I appreciate the concern - I believe you are misreading the intent. It is not to flood the intercooler with a streams of water (that was just proof of concept that I can use/bypass the factory controls to initiate it) while flying down the track. This is to pull some extra heat out of the LTR and restore power before a pass (at least). Hence the misting nozzles being on the way. Better atomized air being pulled through the three, yes three, heat exchangers is going to evaporate long before becoming a problem.

Here's a video and a thread explaining how the LTR works:

The car also has a full belly pan all the way to the oil pan for any residual drips (if any).

Again, I still haven't even proven that the modification will do what I want it to - rapidly cooling the intercooler.

wouldn't you get DQ'd if you're leaking any fluids? In circle track we had a couple of these filled with water and pressurized with air to spray into the rad soon as the car came off the track

250px-Old_fire_extinguisher.jpg

Fun fact: the Demon and Redeye both use their A/C to cool the LTR fluid, in the lanes and down the track during a run. Remind me: how do people typically feel about people running their A/C and/or dribbling condensation out of the exhaust at the track? Yet, no real significant risk remains and no one get sent home.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Your experimentation always peaks my interest but this time I'm struggling to convince myself spraying a little water on the intercooler will do anything.

Isn't nitrous the cooler of choice?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Your experimentation always peaks my interest but this time I'm struggling to convince myself spraying a little water on the intercooler will do anything.

Isn't nitrous the cooler of choice?

We respect the laws of thermodynamics in this house, goddammit!

Last edited:
  • Haha

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Drip anything on the track that an official notices, and they will reprimand you.

LOL - will they threaten to take away my birthday?

As I posted above, the system needs to be tuned to achieve balance to avoid saturation and avoid becoming inefficient (ie. dripping).

Reactions: 1 user

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
CO2.

Oh hell, get that old propane system off the top shelve and MacGyver that in there.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
CO2.

Oh hell, get that old propane system off the top shelve and MacGyver that in there.

Problem is that is all extra weight. I am working on a zero sum modification rule set, meaning anything I add has to have the weight come off somewhere else.

But, we do have plans... that may include propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor