2019 Challenger Widebooty HellKitty (she's giving me the meatsweats...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am speaking from a privileged platform here (meaning I have forgotten more about building and tuning cars than most folks will ever know). Let's address the misconception that shifting gears equates to car hitting a brick wall on each occurrence:

1591282102145.png

If you look at the shift time as indicated by throttle position (1-2 = .405s, 2-3 = .605s, and 3-4 = .410s) a total of 1.42s was committed to full-lift shifting. The car did not stop during that time, nor did it stop accelerating as indicated by the acceleration rate and speed - neither plateau or go negative. So while the car isn't accelerating as hard between gears or outside of "boost" during those shifts, the losses are not as significant as a layman would assume them to be. That is just an ignorant position to take.

The fact of the matter is that the total time lost on the quarter mile is about a 3rd to half of the time committed to shifting your own gears; so call it 7/10ths of a second for the sake of simplicity. That could be recovered through power shifting/NLS the car, and the rest of the ET in the sh*tty 60' time (which is still 3/10ths slower than ideal); which would turn a 11.8 into a 10.8 pretty easily.

So don't kid yourselves if you think forced induction and manual transmissions are a faulty proposition.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Please see above for my exact thoughts.

I’m a little creeped out right now. 😳

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Please see above for my exact thoughts.

I’m a little creeped out right now. 😳

I am not sure what you are getting at here?

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
For clarification-

When I looked at the time-slips, the first thing I noticed was the horrible 60’ times. As you know, .4 quicker off the line would get you nearly a second on the other end. While I realize it has got to be hard to effectively hit your shift points while 700 hp is pushing you in the seat, it’s not the major reason the E.T. Isn’t what you hoped.

You said basically that in your post. I didn’t post what I thought initially, just am agreeing with you.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
For clarification-

When I looked at the time-slips, the first thing I noticed was the horrible 60’ times. As you know, .4 quicker off the line would get you nearly a second on the other end. While I realize it has got to be hard to effectively hit your shift points while 700 hp is pushing you in the seat, it’s not the major reason the E.T. Isn’t what you hoped.

You said basically that in your post. I didn’t post what I thought initially, just am agreeing with you.

Violent agreement.

I was under-playing the value of a good 60'. Regardless, the onus lies at my feet and hands. ;)

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I’ve known ya long enough to count on a 10 sec slip before summers end.

1591287864540.png

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Please enlighten me.

Nothing here is accurate.

If you need to be enlightened, how do you know nothing there is accurate? :mrgreen:

But seriously, you enlighten me first. How exactly is each and every thing there inaccurate? I'm open to reasoned discussion.

This is only weakly relevant to the OP's thread, though.

I see I've set him off on a tangent, too. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut around here. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I also agree that the 1/4 mile is vastly overrated as a performance benchmark. Funny, every respected auto publication on the planet references 1/4 mile times in the specs for a vehicle. Ad Execs will stress the numbers if the "performance version" is respectable by todays standards.

The Buick turbo is a good example. Huh? Good Example of having a convertor perfectly matched for nearly zero lag? The intercooled version was king of the strip for a while, but it had by far the most turbo lag of all the Buick turbos. You've obviously driven different cars than I have because this is just false. So how useful was that power on the road? Useful enough to be quicker than anything else for a couple years. Sorry Corvette.

I'm certainly no expert but have owned Turbo Buicks since the 90's. Not sure you have or where your info comes from. Do tell.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor