2019 Challenger Widebooty HellKitty (she's giving me the meatsweats...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Street and Racing Technology. Car comes factory with a line lock, launch control, Race Cooldown, and track suspension among other things. Straight out of the owner's manual:

This vehicle is equipped with a Launch Control system that is designed to allow the driver to achieve maximum vehicle acceleration in a straight line. Launch Control is a form of traction control that manages tire slip while launching the vehicle. This feature is intended for use during race events on a closed course where consistent quarter mile and 0–60 times are desired. The system is not intended to compen-sate for lack of driver experience or familiarity with the race track. Use of this feature in low traction (cold, wet, gravel, etc.) conditions may results in excess wheel slip outside this systems control resulting in an aborted launch

After making a pass down the drag strip, this feature helps cool the car after the engine has been shut down. The radiator fan and low temperature radiator coolant pump remain on after engine shutdown for a period up to 10 minutes or until target temperature is reached.

The Challenger SRT Hellcat’s NHRA-certified 10.8 second @ 126 mph quarter-mile sprint* —on soft-compound drag radial tires — wouldn’t be possible without the high-strength unequal-length half shafts (finger points) and matched CV joints. This is the final link in the chain of command between the Hellcat’s flywheel and rear tires — where all of the Hellcat engine’s furious power is unleashed to the pavement.

And here's how they advertised it:

Objectively speaking If the car is stock and something fails what leg do they have to stand on? I am just using it as marketed and designed. I didn't add 300hp and overload the drive line components and then look to FCA to cover the damage like some sort of scumbag.

And yes, I am tracking this caveat too: NOTE: Because of the extreme conditions encountered during track use, any damage or wear associated with track use may not be covered by warranty . But, that is for lapping days.

See this is what I was thinking too.

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Every once in a while, somebody with a Buick turbo thinks it will be cool to give it a stick, only to discover that it drops out of boost while shifting.

In your datalog, down at the bottom ....

1591174040996.png

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
And yes, I am tracking this caveat too: NOTE: Because of the extreme conditions encountered during track use, any damage or wear associated with track use may not be covered by warranty . But, that is for lapping days.

they market the car for drag racing and option the car to assist drivers to race so how can they limit the warranty if you are drag racing the car... :unsure:

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Every once in a while, somebody with a Buick turbo thinks it will be cool to give it a stick, only to discover that it drops out of boost while shifting.

View attachment 148146

Ummm, okay? But, lots of cars since the 1960s have come with turbos and manual transmissions. Doesn't make it bad, just different.

Fun fact is that in roll racing and half-mile/standing mile events the manual transmission HCs are often quicker/faster overall if you can hit the shifts. Comes down to parasitic losses, torque band vs gearing, and heat management... or so they say. But, for the quarter mile autos work great.

And yes, I know how to read my a datalog - I built the whole thing from scratch. If you want I can measure that window of time between shifts to show you whats being left on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
they market the car for drag racing and option the car to assist drivers to race so how can they limit the warranty if you are drag racing the car... :unsure:

They only say the warranty could be denied for lapping days, not drag racing.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

We tend to get rookies at the naively confident and discouragingly realistic

View attachment 148146

This car isn't turbo'd so I don't see the point in this statement?

Mike is the intercooler temp the water temp of the system?

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Ummm, okay? But, lots of cars since the 1960s have come with turbos and manual transmissions. Doesn't make it bad, just different.

Fun fact is that in roll racing and half-mile/standing mile events the manual transmission HCs are often quicker/faster overall if you can hit the shifts. Comes down to parasitic losses, torque band vs gearing, and heat management... or so they say. But, for the quarter mile autos work great.

And yes, I know how to read my a datalog - I built the whole thing from scratch. If you want I can measure that window of time between shifts to show you whats being left on the table.

Ok, I wasn't sure how much you understood up front about what you were getting into with a boosted stick.

Not that I'm a know-it-all, mind you. It was something of a revelation for me that a supercharger behaves the same way as a turbo. You can see it in the throttle position and airflow, though. Either one, momentarily there's nothing to boost. As a schoolkid might surmise, I suppose. :mrgreen:

I think a supercharger might get back up to boost faster than a turbo, though. Turbos need to spool off the exhaust flow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor