265/50/15 Radial T/A's on 7" wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
I have an extra pair of these but am apprehensive because the smallest rim size recommended is 8". I have a pair on 8" rims and they look pretty .... chubby. I'm afraid I may be pushing it with the sevens. Has anyone tried it? These are Olds rally [sic] wheels.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I thought Olds rallys were 6"?
Regardless, I think you might be dealing with alot of sidewall roll. Not good for any kind of driving imo.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Not sure but I've always had this same question... :bump:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I wouldn't be too worried about sidewall roll, since the 50 series isn't too tall.
I'd be more concerned about the center of the tread wearing out too quick because the tire surface bows outward, resulting in what looks like a home-made drag radial... Had it happen when I put 275/60's on 7" rims on my Caprice...
255 is as big as I'd recommend on a 7" rim...

...but I guess there's only one way to find out... give it a shot!

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
mr evil said:
I thought Olds rallys were 6"?
Regardless, I think you might be dealing with alot of sidewall roll. Not good for any kind of driving imo.

The 14" wheels are 6" wide, I believe the 15" wheels are 7". I would not reccomend this wide of a tire on a 7" rim though.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
I didnt even think about the bowing effect. That makes a lot of sense, especially with the low profile. Oh well, I'll save those for the other rims.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Many years ago I ran them on 15x7 GN ralleys. They wore ok looked ok and I had no problems. A lil too big for the rim but if you already have them its hard to beat free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor