3.8 Buick headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukweet

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2008
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I have a pair of Pacesetter headers for my longroof(83 Bonneville). Driver's side was on in 15 minutes.
Passenger side :blam:

I had to move the transmission cooling lines and the brake line.
I have easy access through the wheel opening and from below.
Somebody tell me how to get this side header and the starter on at the same time.
For the life of me I cannot figure out the combination.
They won't go with the starter in place and the starter won't go with the header in place.
There is a factory starter heat shield bolted to the block but it doesn't seem to be an issue(so it may be my problem) and I'd really like to keep it. Headers and starters just don't seem to like each other.
Do I need another set of hands or another brain because this 56 year old one is getting used up?

Has any one done this?

Thanks,

bukweet

Wish I could help...I'll be doing this job sooner or later on my 231 Cutlass. A good forum to check out wood be TurboBuick.com. Those guys know all about the 231.

I noticed is that the newer starter motors are noticeably smaller. If you're still using the old stock starter then maybe you could replace it.

Which parts are getting in the way though?

Haven't heard of a mini-starter for a 231.
A later model that will interchange, maybe?
That would certainly make it easier.
Anyone know the manufacturer?
Part number?

bukweet

I actually never asked for a mini starter. I simply went to a local dealership and asked for a starter for my car and thats what they gave me.

Are you using the original starter?

Found Pacesetter's web site and sent a "Tech" dept. message.
Maybe these things mount from the top like the driver's side did. :?

I'd have to move all the compressor stuff but hey, I've moved everything else!

Was hoping some one here had climbed this mountain already.

bukweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor