3.8 to 350 chevy swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2006
iowa
I have a 3.8/ 200 regal 1986 and a 350 sbc out of a 85 carpice . will the sbc have any issues with 200 trans and mounts, both motor and transmission? both are carb'd

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
i am in the process of doing that same swap in my 82 regal lucky me i had a 85 grand prix that had a factory chevy 305 the only year the gp and a chevy motor for a few parts like the crossmember mine DID NOT WORK plus you will need new motor mounts for a 350 i got mine from napa for like $9 dollars a peice see the other post in swaps for more help

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Motor mounts r definitely different and the 3.8L bellhousing won't work with the SBC. Prob nurn the trans up anyway. Just fina 200-4r from a Monte 305 and trans crossmember and u should be in good shape. Because of the difference in frames u will need to run the adapter for the crossmember (extension) available from G-Force. Or just use a TH350.
Take a look hereEngine Swap Info

RegalX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Mankato, MN
I have a TH-200 with the Chev bellhousing that i took out of my 78, where are you located?

NothinYet

n00b
Feb 6, 2007
regal350sbc said:
I have a 3.8/ 200 regal 1986 and a 350 sbc out of a 85 carpice . will the sbc have any issues with 200 trans and mounts, both motor and transmission? both are carb'd

2 of my buddies did this swap. Its not bad at all.

As mentioned you will have a cross member problem. Either buy one or fab up something if you can weld. Trans will mount up, besides they make adapter plates for EVERYTHING even if it didnt.

Guys with Toyota Supras run TH400s. Same with Grand Nationals.

You have to use different motor mounts for sure also, but as also mentioned they are CHEAP!

Good luck and dont sweat it. Not a bid deal, just a lot of wrenchin!

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So I have a 3.8 with 3 speed transmission in my 85 GP. What transmission do I have? Could I use my transmission, or no way? lol.I'd certainly like to save a litle if I could.

Otherwise, what exactly do I need? not some garbled mess, please outline it. I'm new to modding American cars.

:wink:

NothinYet

n00b
Feb 6, 2007
Garbled mess huh? LOL!

Three speed auto? Then you have to have either a th350 or th400 in the car, because the overdrives (200r4 and 700) are 4 speeds.

So... YES YOU CAN USE THAT TRANS... as long as its good.

You know what you need to do to do the swap?

Pull the engine! Anything you seperate from the car to the engine you label it. All of it. You may not need all of it, but you need to know where it went on the old motor!

Look for anything that looks like it would keep you from getting the engine out. Drain your coolant first. Then disconnect all coolant hoses, AC line, wire harness, fuel lines, throttle cable, pull the fan off the front and pull the fan shroud out so you can get the engine out.

Look... This can be done. Its not that hard. It looks much harder than it is. Get some tools and a garage with a hoist in it and start pulling crap apart and labeling it. If you have questions PM or email me. I have pulled and put 3 different engines in my car. Its not that bad. It will be bad the first time because you have no clue what you are doing... but you will still make it through..

OKAY?

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually, my grandpa used to do this to all his old Corvettes. I just didn't know how different it'd be between the 3.8 to 305 and up. All the cars he's done already had V8's in the first place. But let's assume that you already have the engine, transmission, engine hoist, etc. Approximately how much will the swap cost for any wires, mounts, etc. I'm trying to get a ballpark so i know what to look forward to. Because I'd like to keep this 3.8 going for another year and do the rest of the work (brakes, body, etc), then swap next winter...

Thanks! :wink:

NothinYet

n00b
Feb 6, 2007
Thats all gonna depend on what you have. This is what I can tell you>

Whatever engine you put in there... make sure its a COMPLETE engine. All the accessories that you are going to need or want are already attached etc. Because that is where the cost gets involved.

If you have to buy special pulleys and brackets and power steering pumps and all that other BS to work with the engine you are getting.. then you will start to pay out the butt.

Get a COMPLETE engine... everything. Then bolting everything up is a breeze and getting it running is too.

If you are still concerned about emission crap on the car and all the computer related junk, then you will want the harness and ECM out of whatever vehicle the engine came out of.

If not, rip all that garbage out and throw it away! Thats what I did.

Wiring is not that hard. Pull your old ecu and harness out and save it.
Then get a chassis diagram for the car you have. You will just have to wire in the basics from the engine to the car.

Motor mounts are cheap, you will need a different fan shroud possibly.
You may need all different radiator hoses, a/C lines etc.

If your motor is complete, then it wont cost you all that much.. under $500...

If that motor is missing a bunch of stuff.. as I mentioned... (ignition too.. dont forget that!)

Than the cost can get really high.

So what do you have? A long block (motor with heads on it) or do you have a complete engine with everything including the damn spark plugs, wires, belts, EVERYTHING?

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well a guy at my work wants to sell me this motor from an 86 Monte SS. The stock 4bbl 305. Real cheap though. I just don't want to buy it and it not run. Because I don't want to murder anyone. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor